old hp server and xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_dragon

i have an old server
when I only had one p2 cpu I installed fedora core
the first cpu is placed in the "primary slot"
i added a 2nd p2 cpu and placed it in the "secondary or terminator" slot where a "terminator" chip with "AMP" written all over used to be
it boots linux just dandy
i tried booting xp pro cd to install it
after the "windows is checking hardware" the usual blue screen where drivers r loaded never happens!!!
i've swapped cd rom drives and i know its not the problem becuase when booting i always get the "press any key to boot from cd"
however there is another slot that reads "secondary cpu" but the slot is much shorter in lenght and a bit different in shape!
so what I can conclude is that both p2's work as a single logical cpu?
yet I cant boot off the cd..its not damged becuase its able to boot other pc's i have

Did Fedora actually detect the other processor? Hell, does the BIOS report two processors?

PC servers require identical CPUs. Are your identical? Also, Servers want to have voltage regulator modules VRMs installed with CPUs and that's what the other slot is for - you should see a similar slot near the first CPU with a small PCB with lots of capacitors in it.

Nodsu said:
Did Fedora actually detect the other processor? Hell, does the BIOS report two processors?

PC servers require identical CPUs. Are your identical? Also, Servers want to have voltage regulator modules VRMs installed with CPUs and that's what the other slot is for - you should see a similar slot near the first CPU with a small PCB with lots of capacitors in it.
when the pc boots up, it has a line stating
"dual system ready for single processor"
they are not identical but I tried booting Fedora with only the original processor and its dandy
tried it with xp pro and squat
should I put the "terminator/AMP" back in place?
yes there is a voltage regulator, right to the original proccesor, below the " secondary cpu" slot which is not the same slot shape as the first

You need a voltage regulator for each CPU installed.

Also, the BIOS or the POST screen have to report the number of processors (two). Fedora reports the number of processors in the beginning of dmesg. It should say that you have two.

The fact that an OS boots after you have shoved some random piece of hardware into some random slot does not mean that everything is working OK.

HP offers excellent manuals for all their corporate products. You may want to download one for your server and see how exactly to add another CPU and what slots are for what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back