Old Navy carrier combat pilot in WW2

By Bill BrannenSr
Mar 24, 2005
  1. I am an old man(82+) and mostly self taught, I tried to get rid of the elite toolbar by every means knew Finally I typed Help-delete elite toolbar, this morning at 3:30am, I turned on the computer, and in the elite searchbar your website came up, I read the instructions, downloaded the program and hope that I got rid of the elite search bar, however, the name still appears when I click on explorer bar.

You asked for feedback so here is mine: It would have helped me if you had given direct step instructions:eg.
    1. When the screen is in safe mode, it is blank on my computer so I hit control-alt-delete to access task manager.
    2. Found "elite toolbar" and followed your instructions
    3. another step
    4. Fially cliked on the remover, and I hope it is gone.

Thanks, will mail part of my allowance on Monday to you, bb
  2. isatippy

isatippy TS Rookie Posts: 497

Hello and Welcome :wave: :wave:
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions very carefully. Print them out if you can.

Once you have done that go HERE for instructions on how to post your Hijackthis log.

I hope this helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  4. Merc14

Merc14 TS Rookie Posts: 171

Hey Bill, hello from a F-14 aviator (retired). Sat in the backseat (RIO, bad eyes) but got about 450 traps and got to see all the garden spots a carrier visits. Welcome aboard shipmate.
  5. Bill BrannenSr

Bill BrannenSr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Comment about Norton AntiVirus 2005

I purchased Norton Antivirus Program directly thru Norton, and have been trying to activate the program at Norton for more than two weeks, I have talked to everyone possible, have followed all of their support online FAQ's have made two corporate complaints and still do not have the program activated and I am without the protection of my old program which was originally downloaded from their web site.

Everytime I try to activate, I get a message that your security settings prohibit running AcvitveX on this page, can anyone help. bb

I am running XP, prof
  6. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 856

In Internet Explorer Select Internet Options | Security Settings

Download signed ActiveX controls
    Run AxtiveX controls and plug-ins

This should be enough for Norton.

I don't recall needing these options when I installed Norton.

7. Bill BrannenSr

Boots, thanks, downloaded ActiveX and installed it but still no joy, should

should remove the installed program and reinstall?
  8. IronDuke

Yes, that would be a good next step.
  9. Bill BrannenSr

I have downloaded every program in my computer with the name Norton connected to it and reinstalled the cd but still no joy, when I try to activate, I get the messge that another configuration is running and the selection blanks go gray and take no action, I left them on all day. I am at my wits end, bb
  10. IronDuke

I would try removing them all and also removing any directories under C:\ named Norton or Symantec. Restart (not connected to the Internet) and check through C:\ to make sure all references are cleared. Download the latest virus definitions from Norton. Use this link: Norton Update this will save the definitions to your hard disc.

Now reinstall and update with the downloaded file before connecting to the Net.

Hope this may bring success.

11. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

Hi Bill,
    Hope you got the spyware taken care of.
    One of my friends was on The Bennington flying F4Us at the end of the war. He has some pretty interesting stories. Wish I had me a F4U.....
  12. Bill BrannenSr

Old Navy Pilot

I agree with you about the F4U, after my first combat tour, I came home to Marietta, Ga., and was in the first reserve squadron formed at Navy Atlanta, we flew F4U-1's,& FG-1's, because we didn't have enough TBM's, then they brought enough in for us to be able to really activate a VT squadron, when they had trouble with Turkey, we were activated and sent to Oceana in AD-1's preparing for a trip to the Med, we got AD-2's about a month before leaving and they developed a problem with the new props so they took them away from us and gave us F4u-4's, changed our designation from VA to VF, and sent us to the Med flying cover on AD-1's and F4U-5's, we almost burned up the engines trying to stay on top of them. Later on after the Turkey problem was solved, a boat school LTComdr decided that some of us reserves would only fly 4 hours a month so I got the CAG to get me released in Italy and I came home. My shipmates came home for a short refurbishing and then off to Korea still flying the old F4U-4's, they did a fine job. but the old planes sure needed a rest, well anyway, enough war stories for now, bb, old navy pilot.
  13. Mikael

Mikael TS Rookie Posts: 277

Greetings Bill! :grinthumb :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.