old pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

it looks like another friend dropped off a computer that is completely messed up. its a hp pavilion 6640 or somthing like that. my friend claims it has upgraded memory but i know it came with at least 64mb. it came with win 98 on it, then was upgraded to millenium but dragged ****. i tried putting ubuntu 5.10 and 6.10( whatever the newest discs are) but it didnt work, then it made sense when i found out the specs of the machine. so is there a user friendly linux or a way to crack win 98 se? the box dosent have a "key" sticker on it so no 98 se key.

It should run ubuntu. I had a lower spec'd Pavilion with a P2 300 in it that came with 48 megs of ram. I upgraded the ram and had Mandrake 7 running on it fine.

what is mandrake 7? is that a program or os?
when i install ubuntu it freezes at 9% after doing the partition thing.
i tried letting it go but 8 hours later it was still there lol.

maybe try wiping the HDD with zeros first (if you got nothing else on it) or using the live cd of the Ubuntu to boot and select "write over everything" when you click on the installer..

thanks

thanks for all of the help. i ended up giving the computer back with a clean hdd. my friend has a 98 cd he thinks will do the trick.

onesmart***** said:
what is mandrake 7? is that a program or os?
when i install ubuntu it freezes at 9% after doing the partition thing.
i tried letting it go but 8 hours later it was still there lol.
mandrake is a flavor of linux os

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back