TechSpot

old pavilion

By onesmartidiot
Sep 6, 2006
  1. it looks like another friend dropped off a computer that is completely messed up. its a hp pavilion 6640 or somthing like that. my friend claims it has upgraded memory but i know it came with at least 64mb. it came with win 98 on it, then was upgraded to millenium but dragged ****. i tried putting ubuntu 5.10 and 6.10( whatever the newest discs are) but it didnt work, then it made sense when i found out the specs of the machine. so is there a user friendly linux or a way to crack win 98 se? the box dosent have a "key" sticker on it so no 98 se key.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,634   +321

It should run ubuntu. I had a lower spec'd Pavilion with a P2 300 in it that came with 48 megs of ram. I upgraded the ram and had Mandrake 7 running on it fine.

3. onesmartidiot

onesmartidiot TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 168

what is mandrake 7? is that a program or os?
    when i install ubuntu it freezes at 9% after doing the partition thing.
    i tried letting it go but 8 hours later it was still there lol.

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,634   +321

Its Fedora before Fedora, just a linux distro from several years back.

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

maybe try wiping the HDD with zeros first (if you got nothing else on it) or using the live cd of the Ubuntu to boot and select "write over everything" when you click on the installer..

6. onesmartidiot

onesmartidiot TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 168

thanks

thanks for all of the help. i ended up giving the computer back with a clean hdd. my friend has a 98 cd he thinks will do the trick.

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

mandrake is a flavor of linux os

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.