Old PC, need another videocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have here a PC for someone else wich is an oldie.
It's a Compaq Deskpro 1 ghz with 512 MB ram.
Now I want to know if we could insert another (better) AGP videocard?

It's now holding a Riva TNT vanta 16 mb in it.
But can we upgrade the videocard with a better one ?

I know that there are better cards (eg Asus N6600GT).
But now the second question, if the PSU powerfull enough?

It's a 145w Compaq PSU

+5v aux -12v +12v
2A 0.3A 4A
=5v +3.3v
15a 10a

PC information

Compaq Deskpro EXD 1 ghz
512 HP MB ram
1 DVD Rom player
80 GB Maxtor 7200 harddrive
Riva TNT Vanta 16 MB

Someone can clear me up ? :D

Edit :

Added a picture of the case :

n_vcqckuf2.jpg

Hi Post,

What brand and model is the motherboard? We need to know if it has a 4X AGP slot ( I don't think it has a 8X AGP) in order to use a 6600 card.

Regarding the PSU, I'm very sure it won't be up to the task. 145W is very low these days. You need a quality 300W PSU to make it work properly. I just hope that compaq case can fit a normal ATX PSU, it MAY require a mATX PSU (hopefully not).

Regards :)

6600 GT should be able to run on AGP 4X, but it is not worth it to get a good video card for a system like that. PSU should be around 300 Watts with 18A on the 12+ rail. An ATI Radeon 9600 XT or 9800 XT should do just fine

Got this PC from work (for nothing) because they remove the old PC's for brand new ones :)

So got this PC for internet and MSN.
However the person who get's the PC asked me if it's was possible to play the Sims2 and Zoo Tycoon2 on it.
As already expected with 16 MB TNT card, it didn't :)

Overall the PC is good performance, but for the TNT it's sucking.
So I wondered if a cheap card would do the trick to play some games (even if it's on medium / low detail).

Btw the 6600 was an example :) If you recommand another card with this PSU or if I have the upgrade the PSU and videocard?.

If the costs rise to much, then we have to consider a total upgrade of the PC (wich she have to save for, always that damn money :D ;) ).

The PSU is probably a µatx, never seen them so small ;)

I would second that video card recommended by SNGX1275. However, I would recommend one with 128MB of memory, like this one here. Check out it's reviews here, it seems to play those two games just fine.

Oke thanks for your answer!! :D

Sorry for another question :

But would the PSU be enough ? or is it a 50 / 50 chance that it would work ?

That's for the new deskpro's (the black ones).
The old ones (white) uses normal PCI / AGP cards :)

Thanks alot!!

I searched some on Google and some people stated that MX4000 is not a card wich is supported by much games (and also not with Sims2 / ZooTycoon2) ??? Is this true or b*llsh*t.

Also they are talking on T&L, is the MX4000 T&L capable (and Directx 9).

And what about a Gforce fx?
Eg Gforce fx 5200, is this capable for the PSU ?

Again thanks for all the help! :)

The person who is getting the PC just wants to play the games, so the MX4000 will be just fine. No point in having a weak card like the FX5200 if u want all DX9 features enabled, it would be better to just get a 6600GT or a Radeon 9600 instead. So for playing Zoo Tycoon 2 & Sims 2, the MX4000 will be more than enough, as SNGX1275 has previously stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back