Old RTS games (looking)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I'm new to this forum and I'd like to know what some really cool and fun RTS games are like age of empires. But I'm looking in the era of 1997-2005 the great and the not so great please give me some game suggestions cause I've been looking for a game in that era for sometime and all i have of a great RTS game in that era is pictures in my head.

Thank you
-Demon

Apart from the Age of Empires series I can only think of Total Annihilation. I've never played TA, but from what I've heard it's supposedly the king of RTS games.

You may also want to have a look here.

Well C&C ( Command & Conquer ) is in 2000s and late 1900s so you might like it, it's not like AoE but it's still pretty fun :)

If you can still locate one, Homeworld (the original, not so much HW2) is a good RTS game. It was Game of the Year in 1999, I believe.

Oh yeah Homeworld was cool, I use to play it alot! If I still had the cd somewhere then i'd still play it ;)

Thank you for those suggestions but still not what I'm looking for maybe a little description of the game i use to play when i was like 10 or so

the game is kinda 3d 2d based and you start with a castle and a king thats like a soldier and he has his soldiers to protect him and if the king dies then you can make new king by selecting one of his men and making him king but he is weak cause no exp in battle or leadership Also in this game I'm looking for i believe you could build like coal mines and collect minerals and make siege weapons like catapults and there were also many races to play

I remember game play and that but not name cause i couldn't read back then

so any name suggestions or games that fit that description above would be nice
Please and Thank you

-Demon

------------EDIT: Also I like the suggestions you gave above like homeworld and command and conquers (keep suggestions coming)

Total Annihiliation was and will always remain THE BEST RTS GAME OF ALL TIME. It was the first game to feature 3D terrain, even before 3D Hardware Acceleration was utilized. There's a new spiritual successor coming called Supreme Commander. Also, try Warcraft : Orcs & Humans and all the old Command & Conquer titles, including Red Alert, Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. The Black & White games were also one of a kind, so you might try those. Others to look out for are:
Rise of Nations
Rome: Total War
The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II (including all expansions)
Warhammer 40,000
Dune
Empire Earth
Starcraft
Age of Mythology
Also, that game you're thinking of, maybe it's one of the Civilization games?

The game I'm thinking of isn't a Civilization game cause I've played the Civilization games so it can't be in that series the game I'm thinking of did have the terrain like in TA total Annihiliation and the game was kinda like the old war craft games like war craft 2 terrain style

I like your suggestions keep them coming

Populous is a good game. But still not what I'm looking for. Suggestions are still welcome.

------Edit: You guys have been great help to me I've downloaded many Demos from the game suggestions you gave me but still looking for the game that I'm describing.

yer safe demon your finkin of severn kingdoms i think, its where u can be vikings chinese normans etc, u can get a dragon type creature after worshipin or sumthing, you can also fight sum next creature and rob dare gold to aquire your seat of power, ringin any bells,
see if you can help me dares an old rts war game that has recently crossed my mind due to a song that reminded me of the theme tune. you can get tanks and that and they upgrade( first lightthen medium and finally heavey) n i fink you can get oil rigs wich arnt common on most rts games. i used to love this game and id like to play it again so if you can help holl -1-

Yeah, all of the above are top drawer games. Homeworld 1 and 2 are my faves from that bunch. Whilst on the subject, does neone remember an rts, fantasy style, that had a real spooky tune. You fought against giants with one or two heros in the mix. You got damage modifiers for being hirer up on battlements (first appearence?). Think it had Moon in the title and the software company was French. Christ, I'd love to get my hands on it again, be perfect for a netbook.

The only RTS I can think of that sounds even relatively close to that is Stronghold. The original one. =X It was a pretty fun game. :)

Thanks doc. Yeah, I remember Stronghold, it was a good game but I found out the name of the game I was looking for- Black Moon Chronicles by Cyro. Apparently it's being redone as a MMORPG. Just trying to find a copy now. Cheers for the message.

Awsome. I'm going to look that up, later.

Also, for anyone who is curious about TA, I actually prefer Kingdoms (the Second) much more.

Hey

I'm looking for an older RTS game too, and can't remember the name! but I remember playing it a long time ago, as a demo I got. It's 3D and it takes place in like, ancient china I think. And you're characters are kinda just white, except for the team color, but yeah, it was 3D and you could choose between different Chinese/Japanese teams. And it wasn't turned based, also, you could build stuff. which i know most of them do, but yeah. I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME!! AGGHHH!!! Anyway, I would love it if any of you guys could help me! thanks!

STARCRAFT FTW ^^. 2D RTS > 3D RTS.
I think it is still the most popular RTS, and probably has been since it came out.

Starcraft and Warcraft III come to mind. I may pick up Starcraft this weekend or next week. Its only like 20 bucks at the bestbuy down the street for the battlechest. Sadly, I havn't played Starcraft before.... /cower

Starcraft is by far one of the best, Warcraft games are by the same company, pretty good, different story line/graphical use. Warcraft is more 3d, but when playing Starcraft the graphics don't really matter, the gameplay is awesome. For people who love custom games, Starcraft and Warcraft are the way to go. Blizzard added the map editor and people have created custom maps that are fun to play. Command and Conquer games are also on the top of the list.

plz plz help

can somebody plz help me.i am looking for a game that i played in my childhood.it was a real time RTS.a very old one.unfortunatly i donot remember the name.i have searched on internet many times but cant find it..any help will be appreciated.game description is:i
n the game there were 4 teams/campains.
red,blue,purple and white/gray.

red was of vampires with dracula and different vampires(units that can turn into bats)

blue was of mechanical bipedal robots (dont remember much of this team)

purple was of some circus creatures(joker pumpkin head)

gray was of knights(on unit named errant or something)

plz if anybody knows the name tell me.
sorry for bad english

Hey, I assume this is PC related? can you give me a rough year that it was released/you played it? I will update with a list of retro/classic RTS games shortly.

check here see if any of the RTS's in the list ring a bell.. http://www.rakrent.com/rtsc/rtsc_gameslist2.htm

If you don't see the full list on the left click Full RTS List again, if you can;t find it, I'll search again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back