TechSpot

older laptop problem

By jayno20
Dec 1, 2006
  1. I am working on an older Dell Latitude CPi A-Series, and when i boot it up, it sits at a completely black screen with no hard drive activity at all for about 2 or 3 minutes then it boots to windows just fine, there are no errors in the event viewer and after the computer boots it acts like nothing is wrong... i only have an antivirus set to load with windows, i checked for viruses/spyware, any ideas what is causing this?

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,415

Hi

Sounds like the laptop is looking for another bootable device when you start it up, or its an issue with the hardware itself, you could always do a clean install of the OS and see if the problem occurs again, a bit extreme I know.

For testing laptops I have a spare drive with a basic Win98 image on it, If I think the OS is the trouble I stick that in and see if the fault occurs.

Regards

3. Janes

Janes TS Rookie Posts: 63

Just a random shot, how much RAM have you got in?
    Maybe it just takes long to do the POST memory test?

4. jayno20

jayno20 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 106

its 128mb of ram, i have it set to just look for the HD on startup.. i really cant do a reinstall cause i dont have the cd key anymore.

5. Ididmyc600

Yes you can, download Jellybean magic key finder, it will give you your windows key, make a note of it and then reinstall, make sure you have all the needed drivers and your data is backed up.

Regards

6. jayno20

is there nothing else i can try before reinstalling windows?

7. jayno20

anyone have any ideas?

8. Ididmyc600

Hi

Nope !!

Sorry

Regards

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.