Older Phones That Are Still Great Buys

Scorpus

Staff member

It’s always tough to recommend budget smartphones to prospective buyers. For less than $200 (no contract) there are a few standout offerings – the excellent Moto G4 Play is one such example at $150 – but the situation is more complicated in the $200 to $300 price bracket. Here we see a mix of new mid-range devices competing against last-generation flagships at reduced prices, and the latter usually win.

It’s almost always better to purchase a last-generation flagship over a current-gen mid-range device. Last-gen flagships routinely pack better hardware, superior cameras, better performance, and more software features. You won’t be getting the freshest hardware, however you’ll be surprised at the value some year-old products can provide.

Forget about the more expensive Moto G4 variants, Sony Xperia XA, Xiaomi Redmi Pro and other such mid-range phones: you should be purchasing these instead.

Read the complete article.

Still own a G4. Bought it early this year as a cheaper alternative to current flagships and it works like a charm.

I have the LG G4. The camera is superb, the manual control proven very useful in low-light or challenging situation. However it is bugged with the bootloop issues. I just returned my 6-month-old G4 to LG for another issue: vertical split screen.

I'm not sure if the problem affects specific model number, but if you want a G4, you MUST get one with a warranty and do regular backup. Otherwise it's a pretty good phone for the price.

Samsung Galaxy S4 is slow by today's standards but still does most things well!!

I have a G3. has heat throttling issues in demanding scenarios but swappable battery is always nice. I also got it mint condition for $~110.

Why don't I don't see the Nokia 5110 or 3330 on the list. Surely they should still be on the 'desirable' list. Maybe the author of the article was still in his parents planning stage when they ruled the roost... ;)

I got my boxed and unused galaxy s5 just before the s7 came out... It does all I need it to do and it got updated to 6.01, which did help the phone perform better then when I first got it... And it only cost £250.

I'm still rocking my LG G2. The LG G4 may be more powerful, but battery is the same so good luck keeping it charged! My LG G2 stays charged all day and runs 90% of games lag free.

I have the LG G4. The camera is superb, the manual control proven very useful in low-light or challenging situation. However it is bugged with the bootloop issues. I just returned my 6-month-old G4 to LG for another issue: vertical split screen.

I'm not sure if the problem affects specific model number, but if you want a G4, you MUST get one with a warranty and do regular backup. Otherwise it's a pretty good phone for the price.

I also got the bootloop. It is a widespread manufacturing defect similar to Xbox 360 RROD. Make sure to get a good warranty if buying one used.

HTC One M8 average sale price on swappa is about $120 as of Nov 2016, not $225 as this article states.

Would not recommend Nextbit Robin, poor build quality. Do a search on this device for bend test on youtube.

I dont agree with the HTC One M8 "Hasn't stood the test time". I still have it and runs great, smooth and fast.

I just bought two LG G4's two months ago, one for me and one for the other significant. Really great buys and one was $99 and the other was $190. They are really great.

Mine Samsung Galaxy 4 died after being dropped and my wife's was a present to replace a real old junk phone. We love both the phones and the money we saved.

I wanted LG G4 since I have problems hearing and according to reports on the net it has the best sound tone - it is good for me!

They work fast, 4G, plenty of memory and takes nice pics. Why spend $600+ to impress your tech friends? I am happy with having some money in the bank for a nice vacation.

Running an LG G4 myself. It's a great phone overall, but my first one did suffer from the infamous bootloop issue. The camera is grade A for a point and click. Hopefully the G6 will be more like the G4, because I would consider upgrading if it didn't seem so incremental.

"The Galaxy S4 is an equally bad option at $180."
On whose say so Tim Schiesser...???
My wife has a Galaxy S4 ...... it isn't broken. she makes 'phone calls with it,
sends text messages and takes photographs with it, and the never-ending
list of APPLICATIONS are not required to survive in life, they're a pain in the eyes , not useful for much
at all on a tiny hand-held screen.
She has an excellent lap-top for computer work, on a large screen.
You guys talk as if people will die if they don't buy a new model mini computer (UnSmart Phone)
with a 'phone and camera when released, and only people with common sense do NOT
want to join the ever-growing throng of zombies who allow their lives to be controlled
by a slab of electronic plastic welded to their hands 24/7.

My 3-year old Note 3 still does everything I need, although the battery is not lasting as long as it once did. I've ordered a $10 or $20 replacement battery, and I should be good for another year or 2. I don't need to be bleeding edge.

What would a new model gain me, anyway, besides an emptier wallet?

My 3-year old Note 3 still does everything I need, although the battery is not lasting as long as it once did. I've ordered a $10 or $20 replacement battery, and I should be good for another year or 2. I don't need to be bleeding edge.

What would a new model gain me, anyway, besides an emptier wallet?
B...But you must have a new phone every 6 months now.

"The Galaxy S4 is an equally bad option at $180."
On whose say so Tim Schiesser...???
My wife has a Galaxy S4 ...... it isn't broken. she makes 'phone calls with it,
sends text messages and takes photographs with it, and the never-ending
list of APPLICATIONS are not required to survive in life, they're a pain in the eyes , not useful for much
at all on a tiny hand-held screen.
She has an excellent lap-top for computer work, on a large screen.
You guys talk as if people will die if they don't buy a new model mini computer (UnSmart Phone)
with a 'phone and camera when released, and only people with common sense do NOT
want to join the ever-growing throng of zombies who allow their lives to be controlled
by a slab of electronic plastic welded to their hands 24/7.
First off, bang up job using the quotes :) Secondly, he isn't saying the S4 is a bad phone, he is saying for $180 you can get more for your money.

Last edited:
Scorpus is very anti Samsung! Jeesh brotha!
Are those off-brand phones really that good?

Online reviews (from about 6 months ago) suggest that the Android 6 update to the LG G4 causes problems.
Any comments?

Scorpus is very anti Samsung! Jeesh brotha!
Are those off-brand phones really that good?

Only at the prices for older flagships. LG seems to have excellent prices for some of their older devices. The Galaxy S4/S5 aren't actually that bad

Back