Olympics: Jamaica dominates 100M

tw0rld

Jamaica's usain Bolt smashed his own world record to win the gold in 9.69 secs. The crazy thing about this is that he could have gone faster. Some say that he could have ran 9.5....
That was just the beginning as, the women took to the track and proceeded to dominate the event with a sweep of the medals. Newcomer Shelly-Ann Fraser took the gold in 10.78 sec. Sherone Simpson and Kerron Stewart were tied with a time of 10.98 sec. Both women will get a Silver Medal. I don't know about you, but this was an exciting weekend of track 100M Sprint. Did anyone see the races? If so what are your views? If you did not see the races have a look at them here: http://hostyah.com/

Yeah I saw all the 100M Mens races not all the Womens though, Tyson Gay wasn't race sharp so thats why he didn't qualify for the Final (He went out in Semi's).

That Usain Bolt didn't even try his best, the First Round he Jogged for 50m, Second Round he jogged a little bit less 30-40m same in the Semis and the Final He jogged basically the last 30m, really took the biscuit he could have easily run the 9.5... seconds you mentioned.

Although GB has been going great 12 Golds its our best haul since 1920 only 8 behind US (Never will catch up though :)), that puts us 3rd in the Medal Table, Germany should know by now they are Second Best in 5th :). We've done great in the Cycling and Sailing (As would be expected were a Island), as well as Swimming and Rowing.

Also whats got into China they've got 38 Golds, more than US's in 2004 (which was 36), but it goes on till Sunday so they could get way more. But I think Chinas' Golds will start to dry up now since they look to have played their best events, although I may be wrong.

Oh also based on your title Jamaica didn't dominate Usain Bolt did, the other 2 Jamaicans only finished 5th and 6th place, Asafa Powell disappointed again really in the Final as he has done before.

I actually only caught the finals on the news, but I did see one of the semis or maybe quarters, when Bolt ran the 9.92. He did quit running very early on.

Its amazing that people are actually this fast. You take any of those people that finished last and put them up against probably any one of us, and we'd get smoked.

Bolt is really special, and has been for a long time. He was a star in Jamaica sinc, his days in High School. The world may be astounded by his performance, but the Jamaicans expected this, and wouldn't settle for anything less. The crop of youngsters that they have is a testament to the youth program that they have in place.

I've been watching a lot of this Olympics. But unfortunately only NBC's coverage, they have like 5 sister stations that show stuff too, but I only get NBC in HD, so I don't watch most of the other stuff. I did get a heavy dose of swimming and gymnastics though, and I guess thats good, I fit into the demographic NBC is trying to reach.

Good to see other third world countries win, that island really hasn't won much through the years. 1500 mile or whatever you call US guy who ran last night seem to run out of breath, oh well he was the last to come in. 200M should be interesting to see who wins tonight. I not really into this stuff as most here. But the wife has it on all the tvs all day long. I had asked can't we watch a movie, no it's this or nothing. Well another week of this and that's it.

SNGX1275, we watch it most on the non-HD 36" CRT. Even though I have 3 HDTVs in the house go figure. There was a soccer game on Sunday Morning I had the HDTV on it was better to watch it. There are couple of HD showing different events, but NBC coverage is so boring they need some women to sport casters instead of the same old men from prior years. They're so dull to watch!

200M should be interesting to see who wins tonight.

Bolt will win the 200M Final Easily as this is his best event. He started out running the 200M, and has only started running the 100M, a year ago. It should be a good one.

Well Usain Bolt did get through to the Semi's which are set to start sometime in the next 2-3 hours of this post.

Oh and so much for me saying China's Gold Medals might dry up they got 2 more Today so far.

And GB has done even better now, Our Olympic Association said we needed to finish 8th Overall in the Medals table with 27 Medals Overall, They've already done that and a target of 35-41 Medals has been set now but I can't find anything on what our Best ever Gold Medal Haul is (14 Golds Currently), possibly more :).

I've just watched Usain Bolt cause Absolute Disbelief with the 91,000 people in the Bird's Nest Stadium in the 200M Final because of what he has just done, I'm completely Astounded he ran his best all the way round. That gives him 2 Gold Medals and 2 WR

I would seriously recommend everyone watches it if they can, he finished in 19.30 Seconds beating the WR by 0.02 Seconds which was set back in 1996.

Edit: Sorry about the posts I would merge them myself but I couldn't Edit my last post, so had to add this.

Universal HD is showing some other Olympics content as well SN - I've been watching both.

Yeah it was Michael Johnson before who held it, He is a BBC Sport Pundit and Newspaper Column Writer over here now. He was with the Live Coverage Team in the Stadium when the World Record was set.

Just Double Checked the Previous World Record, it was 19.32 Seconds with a +0.4m Wind set by Michael Johnson and Usain Bolt finished 19.30 seconds with a -0.9m Head Wind - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/200_metres

Very close though 200th's of a Second between them.

Well, I was wrong about DTV........

I've been watching a lot of this Olympics. But unfortunately only NBC's coverage, they have like 5 sister stations that show stuff too, but I only get NBC in HD, so I don't watch most of the other stuff.
We were in a thread earlier discussing compression in HDTV. I sprung for a flat screen TV in time for the olympics. The motion effects in NBC's coverage were horrific. Anytime somebody moved the compression blocking obliterated any detail. In the studio though, I gotta say, Bob Costas never looked better, but then the sportscasters are just talking heads, so why wouldn't they.

Yes, it's a cheap TV, but DVDs in either upconvert or standard def progressive scan, simply don't do that s***!

I did get a heavy dose of swimming and gymnastics though, and I guess thats good, I fit into the demographic NBC is trying to reach.
I don't have cable, so I don't know if I'll be able to see any of my favorite event, rhythmic gymnastics. Well, it does combine athleticism, dance, costume, and music, combined with a healthy dose of eroticism. I'm not certain of my demographic, but it's probably bordering on dirty old man.

I saw Sasha Cohen do a ribbon routine on ICE Skates! Talk about outrageous.

NBC had some rhythmnic gymnastics on this morning, it was after the US Argentina basketball game.

As for the compression artifacts, they were absolutly horrible on my end to, I think it is all the cable provider because NBC should be sending out a pretty good feed. I think those that get their NBC from Dish or DirectTV have much better quality than I do. My tv has a setting you can play with to try and eliminate the blockiness, I tried it out with water polo, which was by far the worst artifacting event I saw. The results weren't impressive. If I turned it to High sure, the blocking was gone, instead replaced with just a blur. Low was somewhere inbetween and I had been watching stuff with it on Low prior to my testing. I've now just set it to off.

You might have a point I've seen the HD coverage over here and it sounds to be your description as well, this seems to be the Chinese Broadcast since its all there Cameras, it only seems to be clear on our presenters and Obviously the Cameras are our Broadcast.

I Have Bad News and Bad News..........

As for the compression artifacts, they were absolutly horrible on my end to, I think it is all the cable provider because NBC should be sending out a pretty good feed.

My issues with compression artifacts are coming from an off air signal. I guessing that my local NBC affiliate, (WCAU 10 Phila), drags the signal directly from the sattelite, then rebroadcasts it. Since the antennas are only about 6 miles away, and the signal strength meter is pegged, I'm thinking that it's the NBC feed at fault.

Oh well, maybe when they don't have to eat bandwidth with the analog signal they won't compress the digital signal as much. Does that sound naive to you too? I realized that after I said it.

Carrying on with the theme of the thread, Mr. Bolt won a third gold medal in the 4 X 100 relay last night, then offered to donate $50,000. to earthquake relief in China. I don't know if that's a big plus for him, or a cheap shot at China. If you think about it, with all the money China spent on these Olympics, combined with the current strength of their economy, it seems like any earthquake relief should have been a done deal by now!

You might have a point I've seen the HD coverage over here and it sounds to be your description as well, this seems to be the Chinese Broadcast since its all there Cameras, it only seems to be clear on our presenters and Obviously the Cameras are our Broadcast.

This is just a guess, but NBC is probably doing all the technical aspects of the broadcast, and China is merely the grantor of the license. The IOC and China are probably responsible for the official photo cameras of each event, but these are a separate system entirely. These are just my impressions, so ring in, and tell us what you think

I think China controls everything that is on camera, with the exception of the in studio broadcasts (like those with Costas). That is why you see all the dudes named BOB :) (Beijing Olympic Broadcast). The reason it looks so good in studio is because there is almost no motion, so you can get by with a really low bitrate.

The cable companies really compress the signal so they can have a bunch of HD channels. Satellite networks have sent up satellites equipped to handle a lot more bandwidth compared to most cable providers.

This is just a guess, but NBC is probably doing all the technical aspects of the broadcast, and China is merely the grantor of the license. The IOC and China are probably responsible for the official photo cameras of each event, but these are a separate system entirely. These are just my impressions, so ring in, and tell us what you think

As SNGX has already said and me as well the images are Controlled in China, probably the best way to describe it is that they would have a Broadcast Station in Beijing which would most likely forward it somewhere else so they can get it to a Satellite which obviously transfers it to the other Satellites for our viewing.

Most of the Technical aspect is controlled by China, only a bit would be by our Broadcasters (BBC in the UK), I've just started watching it on the Normal Digital Channel instead.

I wouldn't know what the Hardware situation is in China but our HD Coverage is getting quite Big and Great Quality, there are about 20-30 HD Channels here now easy maybe more. Yours will most likely be more than ours.

Oh yeah about the Original Thread Point, Jamaica have Won the Women's 100M and 200M as well as the Men's and as CaptainCranky has already mentioned the Men's 4X100M Relay, so they have pretty much taken the Running Track over.

Oh something else what do you lot think about China winning all those Medals don't you think something is a bit Fishy, in terms of its a bit odd they've suddenly won all these Medals in the Space of 4 years.

I was watching 1 of the Boxing Matches in absolute disbelief, now I consider the Irish some of the best in Boxing they had their best Fighter in a Match to get a Bronze Medal and he was fighting a Chinese Boxer, this Chinese Boxer won 15-0 now have you ever heard of a Chinese Boxer really.

While watching the match I saw a few dodgy decisions that seemed to go in the Chinese's Favour, The Irish Boxer should have scored at least 3-4 points but they weren't given :confused:, while the Chinese Boxer was given some points which shouldn't have been given at all.

In Any Event......

This whole issue does seem to take the wind out of the 120Hz screen refresh rate sales pitch, since crap refreshed at double the rate would either be twice the crap, or the same crap warmed over....:rolleyes:

Can I get an "amen" ?

Back