Omate TrueSmart watch places calls, texts without your smartphone

By Shawn Knight
Aug 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If you’ve seen one smartwatch, you’ve seen them all – right? Not exactly. Virtually every smartwatch I’ve come across thus far primarily functions as an accessory to a smartphone but the Omate TrueSmart watch changes everything. That’s because it works...

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 851   +201

Man is that thing ugly. I still prefer traditional timepieces over these "smart watches".

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 906   +242

Hey if I could create a wifi hotspot with it and connect my tablet to this to get internet, then I don't need a smartphone anymore, and I don't have to carry my tablet with me unless I want internet. That seems more practical than carrying just a smart phone, or a smart phone and a tablet, or putting a data plan on a tablet which you would always have to carry with you if you want to make a phone call.

I like this idea actually...
  4. Eddo22

Eddo22 TS Enthusiast Posts: 161   +6

I like smart, mp3, camera watches etc. Alas they always seem to be too big. I want a normal sized watch with those capabilities.
  5. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

While the 'feature' seems first to be seen at this 'omate truesmart watch', it is already seen in the 'viber for windows' program.
    viber for windows can make calls and text messages.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

"A dual-core 1.3GHz Cortex A7 chip with 4GB of memory onboard"
    Damn. And to think my old Intel 286 with 256 Kb ram & 20 Mb HDD desktop (that couldn't wrap around my wrist) was the bees knees. It wasn't that long ago either.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I would only consider if it had a standardized battery, one that I could replace with ease after a year or two. With that said; this watch would suit my need just fine, as I don't need a smart phone.

I would like to know how difficult it would be, to send messages with a device this small.
  8. omatetruesmart

omatetruesmart TS Rookie

We're right here to answer your questions, so here we go!

The battery is replaceable. We'll be posting video's on the basic features and apps on the TrueSmart. Keep an eye on our Kickstarter/Facebook/Google+ page!
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. omatetruesmart

omatetruesmart TS Rookie

Times have changed quickly haven't they ;) It feels like only yesterday that we were playing Choplifter on a Commodore 64...