On board Orinoco mini PCI card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denman007

On my gateway laptop, my internet connection will work for about 5 or 10 mins. Then out of the blue, my computer will lock up for about a min and my Orinoco mini PCI card goes dead. When I mouse over the icon, I get "wireless network card not operational".

Usually after about 2 mins, my laptop functions again, but without and internet connection. I can still see all the wireless networks available.

Any ideas? Thanks!
D

First, see if there is a firmware upgrade for the network card... or gateway drivers changes.

The Orinoco chipset is used in a great number of laptops. Many came with the older drivers or firmware. You can usually download drivers from the Orinoco site if not from the Gateway site. You Uncompress them to a folder on your leaptop, then Go to into the control panel, Select System, Under the hardware tab click the device manager button, Right-click on the ORiNOCO mini PCI Card under the network adapters, select Update Drivers from the context menu. Next, select Install from list or specific location. Now select Don't Search. I will select the driver to install. Click Have Disk. Navigate to the folder where you uncompressed your drivers, then select WLAGSALL.INF
Click Open and ignore warnings.
When the drivers are completed, reboot.

If this doesn't work, you may have a failed unit.

I did try newer drivers. I download the file 9522473.exe from gateway.

Revision: 7.82.0.323
Operating System: Microsoft(r) Windows(r) 2000 and Windows XP
Driver Part Number: 9522473
Date: 04/29/2003

This driver seems to work differently. When I mouse over the icon for the PCI, it now says "this program is not compatible with the driver". However, it still connects but locks up as before after a short period of time.

I've been holding on forever with this 6 yr old laptop. This night be the last straw if I can't get it fixed.

Do I have the right driver?

Could I disable the on board card and use an external card in my PCI slot as a last resort?

What is the model of the Gateway... or the SN from the label on the case. What you report should not be happening... rarely such problems on a Gateway unless you have a hardware issue of major proportions.

Have you tried the drivers direct from Orinoco... We find that is necessary to correct problems with various Dell Inspirons and the awful Sony VAIO.

raybay said:
Have you tried the drivers direct from Orinoco... We find that is necessary to correct problems with various Dell Inspirons and the awful Sony VAIO.

What is there url? Thanks.

raybay said:
What is the model of the Gateway... or the SN from the label on the case. What you report should not be happening... rarely such problems on a Gateway unless you have a hardware issue of major proportions.

Model 600YG2.

The driver from proxim is older then the one from gateway, but it loaded ok. Card still dies after a few mins. Maybe it's over heating. Who knows.

I will try disabling it in the BOIS and using an external PCI.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

raybay said:
Sounds like you have a defective unit... is your system under warranty.

lol...No. It's about 5 years past warr. I've been patching holes for a while now trying not to buy a new one. I just had a power port replaced about a month ago.

I'm gonna try the external card when I get home - I found 3 of them laying around. Hopefully there are some XP drivers to go with them.

Thanks.

Woohoo...got an old Linksys card working. I shouldn't get too excited, though. It's only been 3 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back