On the lookout for new Mobo/CPU/Ram...Wait or get now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyZip

Hi...

Im thinking of upgrading my Computer with a new MOBO, CPU and Ram...

What i wondered was do i upgrade now? Or do i wait for these new AMD Hammer Boards??

I was thinking if i upgraded now to, say a KT400 board with 2600+, or 2800+, then in the future, whats the biggest CPU i could physically put in. As if i get a Hammer board with CPU when they come out, at least i will be able to just upgrade the CPU in the future to a faster one...

And when are these boards hitting the shops??

Although, im not fussed whether i go Intel or AMD...

Or any other ideas??

OK;)
I'll put it another way...

Whats the most future-proof (and decent) Motherboard around now???

Either Intel or AMD...

Look at AMDs and Intel's processor roadmaps, it's up to you whether to upgrade to Hammer/Itanium or not. If you ask me, I'll stick with IA-32 CPUs as long as I can.
The latest technology is evolving so fast it's almost impossible to predict what's worth waiting for. As an example, the DDR400 isn't officially recognized yet (or is it?) so I'm not sure if it would be a future-wise upgrade.

There is already speculation of a KT400a between enthusiasts which would hopefully make it worth getting over the KT333 boards. Otherwise the Nforce2 boards are meant to be coming out in the next couple of weeks which should be better than KT400 from comparisons of the reference boards which have been reviewed. I was trying to hold off for Hammer but my Asus board bowed out ungracefully after a bios flash so I'm now running a KT400 board, but until I get my hands on a 333 fsb CPU I'll be sticking with my good old PC2100 ram. Next upgrade I think is the Video card as the rest of my system is pretty decent now.
Still might be tempted to try a Hammer system depending on my finances if and when it finally hits the streets.

Gigabyte's GA-7VAXP boasts PC3200 DDR Support, and that's only a KT400 chipset board :] it does work too, i've used it :)

On the lookout!

Well all depends on how badly you need your new system. I found myself in the same position as you. But I really needed an upgrade. So I started browsing around, comparing prices and looking for specs. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't wait for the Opteron, so I kept my old Athlon 1.333 MHz (266 FSB). I got me the Epox 5K3A+ for features and overclocking features (capable of running 333 FSB speed for the upcoming Athlon XP's 333 FSB), it comes with USB 2.0, 4 RAID controllers and KT333 chipset, I didn't upgrade the CPU just to wait for the new Athlon XP's with (333 FSB) which is coming out soon. If you combine that with Corsair DDR 333 and you'll have a hell of a system! Good luck with your new system!! ;)

Thanks for all your replies...

It'll take me quite a while to look through & research your recomendations...

I might hold off a while, and see what happens with these nForce 2 Boards, they look quite cool (at what price though?)...

Will post soon with my decision...

Originally posted by Greeno
as i guess u know arris :) having just looked at ur spec lol :)

LOL :haha:

Yeah I am fairly familiar with it ;)
Haven't tried using any PC3200 DDR in it (got 512mb of PC2100 that seems a waste to retire :( )

Changing memory speeds every season is a very BAD practice by manufacturers and bad for consumers too...

I'm all for bigger and better products, but we should be waiting for something worth upgrading to.. Such as jumping from 266Mhz to 533Mhz or 533 to 1066Mhz.. etc.. These little piddly +-33Mhz changes are a revolting reminder of how useful standards and compatibility are. The "monthly memory special" is also hard to keep up with for consumers and people who don't follow tech news regularly.

Originally posted by Rick
Changing memory speeds every season is a very BAD practice by manufacturers and bad for consumers too...

I'm all for bigger and better products, but we should be waiting for something worth upgrading to.. Such as jumping from 266Mhz to 533Mhz or 533 to 1066Mhz.. etc.. These little piddly +-33Mhz changes are a revolting reminder of how useful standards and compatibility are. The "monthly memory special" is also hard to keep up with for consumers and people who don't follow tech news regularly.

I've been trying to get people to realize this for a long time Rick but it seems to be a waste of thought process. People will still insist to upgrade every time there is a couple of MHz in speed to be gained, even if the only place they will see that gain is in Benchmarks.

I used to be the same way, but then I woke up(and my wallet wasn't as fat anymore) so I pretty much don't upgrade until there is a notable jump in performance. By this I mean something I can see without having to run a Benchmark to tell the difference.

any time i get a new CPU i try to ensure that I am able to double my MHz for the same money I paid last time. Right now I am waiting on going to 3 GHz from 1.33 GHz. These people who buy a new board and chip every time one comes out are insane.

Yeah I know what you mean...
I would never have gone
1Ghz 200fsb Athlon
1.4Ghz 266fsb Athlon ThunderBird (Ran it at 1.503Ghz with fsb overclock)
1.73Ghz 266fsb Athlon XP 2100+ (Running it at 1.820Ghz with fsb overclock)
:eek:

Saying that I bought a DDR motherboard to be able to use the GF3 that I bought (due to GA-7IXE4 AGP being below necessary standard), and thought... 200fsb on a 266fsb PC.. Seems silly, and thats when I got the 1.4Ghz CPU (and had a 1Ghz Athlon firewall for a while). And the latest CPU upgrade has improved my GF3 in game performance allowing me to get more use of antialiasing and anisotropic filtering that would have slowed it down before. I've generally only upgraded my system hardware when it has had a visible benefit in games.

Tell me about it...:)

I'm only deciding to upgrade because a few extra funds have come my way, and also i've only got a Pentium 750...

So hopefully, i will gain "x 3".. Something like a 2.2 Ghz

what is the fastest pentium 4 board out right now..im looking to upgrade to a 2.53 and just need some ideas on some boards..any help would be appreciated..thanks

Gigabyte GA-8PE667u :) maybe not the *FASTEST*, but it's up there, it's cheap, supports 'Unofficially' 667MHz FSB when it comes about, and version 3 and later of the BIOS and it'll support 3.06GHz and HT :) , it's got USB2.0 on board, Intel LAN and Realtek 6-channel Audio, and supports PC2700 DDR :)

but hey.... its just a suggestion ;D

i forgot... :\

on-board Promise PC20276 IDE RAID :)

the GA-8PE667p doesnt have RAID and is even cheaper :D

I'm not post count whoring ;) ......i promise :)

but you say 2.53GHz, so you're going to need (assuming you want an Intel chipset mobo) an 845E, 850E or 845PE chipset to handle your 533MHz FSB CPU :)

yes i am going to go with the 2.53...im almost 100 percent sure on that...but i was jsut wondering what a fast pentium borad was...thanks for the reply

AGP 8x, isn't really worth it and you won't see it on a "Geniune" Intel Chipset for at least a month, prolly Q1 next year, is closer to the truth, so you'd have to go the VIA or SiS route.

personally ;) i wouldnt advise either :]

I still havn't got a bl**dy clue!!!:(

I don't know which way to turn: AMD or INTEL?????

Do i go with one of these nForce 2 boards??

Or do i get a motherboard that can handle Intel's Hyper-threading, stick in a low CPU like P4 2.2 or 2.4 (and wait till the hyper-threading CPUs come down in price)

Is it true that high AMD CPU's run hot?? I hate having the sound of a jet engine in my room with all those big fans, also i keep my computer on over night, and with small children in the house, i don't want a fire starting at 3:00AM!!!:dead:

AMD or INTEL???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back