Onboard audio keeps dying out...help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again. I replied to an old thread about trouble with a 5.1 speakers set because my set wasnt working properly. After getting them to work, I realized that my audio problems went deeper than that and that my onboard audio was being weird.

The deal is this: when i turn on my pc, the audio loads with the rest of my programs. Then eventually whether I am using winamp, core media or not, the sound system driver of my asus motherboard tells me that there is something wrong with my speaker connection; I close it since all of my speakers are working fine. Then when I am playing a song, video or just using my speakers for anything in particular, my sounds starts to break up like it is getting static or a phone is nearby. The static keeps getting louder and louder till the speaker breaks up and I got no sound at all even though the volume control and drivers seem to work fine. By this point, the pc re-starts by itself instantaneously and I got no sound or volume control. The only way to get sound again is to turn off the pc and then turn it on again. This then becomes a vicious cycle because I keep getting the same problem.

I have been thinking about getting a sound card because from what i heard it is not only better but it will give you less crap. I just want any suggestion before I make my purchase since I don't wanna buy a soundcard if it is not going to solve my problem.

Here are my specs:
Windows Xp
Amd Athlon 64, 3000+
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
nvidia nforce4 SLI, amd hammer
Realtek AC97 audio

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd try uninstalling, then downloading & installing the latest Drivers for the Onboard Sound - from Asus.

If it's still playing up, then it's soundcard time {unless the 'Board is still under warranty}

thanks but i have uninstalled and installed the drivers several times. I think I am going to take my chances with a sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back