TechSpot

Onboard audio keeps dying out...help!!

By Merca
Jun 10, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi again. I replied to an old thread about trouble with a 5.1 speakers set because my set wasnt working properly. After getting them to work, I realized that my audio problems went deeper than that and that my onboard audio was being weird.

The deal is this: when i turn on my pc, the audio loads with the rest of my programs. Then eventually whether I am using winamp, core media or not, the sound system driver of my asus motherboard tells me that there is something wrong with my speaker connection; I close it since all of my speakers are working fine. Then when I am playing a song, video or just using my speakers for anything in particular, my sounds starts to break up like it is getting static or a phone is nearby. The static keeps getting louder and louder till the speaker breaks up and I got no sound at all even though the volume control and drivers seem to work fine. By this point, the pc re-starts by itself instantaneously and I got no sound or volume control. The only way to get sound again is to turn off the pc and then turn it on again. This then becomes a vicious cycle because I keep getting the same problem.

I have been thinking about getting a sound card because from what i heard it is not only better but it will give you less crap. I just want any suggestion before I make my purchase since I don't wanna buy a soundcard if it is not going to solve my problem.

Here are my specs:
    Windows Xp
    Amd Athlon 64, 3000+
    Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
    nvidia nforce4 SLI, amd hammer
    Realtek AC97 audio

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Maniac Posts: 579

I'd try uninstalling, then downloading & installing the latest Drivers for the Onboard Sound - from Asus.

If it's still playing up, then it's soundcard time {unless the 'Board is still under warranty}
  3. Merca

Merca TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks but i have uninstalled and installed the drivers several times. I think I am going to take my chances with a sound card.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.