Onboard eSata doesn't work, but eSata adapter does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have an MSI P6N diamond motherboard. I purchased a Cavalry 500gb external hard drive a while back. It can connect via USB or eSata. My motherboard comes with an onbaord eSata port, but the drive does not come up in post nor is it detected in Windows Vista if connected there. However, I also have an eSata adapter bracket, and the drive is seen when connected there. So is the onboard eSata port dead, or is there something I can do to make this work? I'm getting an external enclosure that also connects via eSata, and I'd rather not install another bracket if possible.

Thanks.

So I have my new external enclosure, and that is detected by my pc through the onboard eSATA connection, so this port isn't dead. I have no idea why the other drive can only be detected through the eSATA adapter. If it was the cable, it probably wouldn't work at all, right? If it was the port, it probably wouldn't work at all.

Sounds to me like not all of your mobo drivers are installed or perhaps not everything is connected internally. Is this a home build?

It is a home build. I'm not sure what driver would be missing. I have downloaded all of the updates from MSI and NVidia (my motherboard is an MSI P6N Diamond with NVidia chipset). Also, I have windows Vista Ultimate as my OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back