onboard graphics issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_skinbakk

can anyone please shed a little light on how i go about disabling my on board graphics so i can use a pci graphics card my motherboard is an asrock k7s41. many thanks

Have you tried just plugging in a new graphics card, and having the monitor hooked up to that when you boot? I've never seen that not work.

Go to 'control panel' select 'system' select 'hardware' tab. Choose 'device manager'. Look at the tree of hardware select the item that you want to 'disable' : choose 'disable'. That is all.

Would paul_skinbakk need to install any drivers before the graphics card would work? I know I have to install a disk driver for my Nvidia FX 5500

You'd likely have to install drivers at some point to get resolutions better than 800x600, but windows will use a generic driver initially.

Display would work on the generic driver, but good luck playing anything or upping that resolution (like SNGX said). If you bought a card from the same people that made your onboard graphics chip (GPU), then you may really need to disable. For instance, if you had an ATI Express chip on your motherboard, and bought a new ATI card, the drivers are the same for both (unless they're doing something different from when I last upgraded an onboard-based system), so you would need to disable the integrated GPU to get the drivers to recognize the new GPU.

It's all in the manual.

paul_skinbakk said:
can anyone please shed a little light on how i go about disabling my on board graphics so i can use a pci graphics card my motherboard is an asrock k7s41. many thanks

1. Disable in the system device manager and look for the onboard video
right click on the device then on disable.

2. Reboot PC press whatever key to get into your BIOS

3. To disable this device you just need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard. Who makes your PC or do you know who makes the MOBO.

Download and use this program to probe your system for the correct info if you have a clone system and not sure what you have?
www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Plug in your graphics card, then install drivers for the new card. Follow through by unplugging the cord from the the old, onboard graphics card, then plug it into the new one.

Finally, go into Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager, open up the "Display Adapters" tab, right-click the onboard graphics card (if you don't know it's name, check the specs your manufacturer has provided on their website or manual) and click "Disable."

Done. Settled. Topic Closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back