Onboard sound suddenly stopped working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossimoboy

Hey all,

I've got an annoying problem on my hands. I just replaced my case, and when I turn on the computer, and try to listen to some music.. Theres nothing..

I was confused, so I tried turning up the volume with no luck, checked if the jacks were used correctly, they were. Finally I tried to reinstall my mobo drivers, and that didn't work either.

So I don't have any sound now..

Someone help please? I really don't to buy a new soundcard right now.

Changing the case might or might not have something to do with it.Is everything in the Sound and Audio devices control panel, present and correct ? Is there any new hardware or software that might be causing conflicts.Did you knock a wire loose when changing case ? If all else fails,sound cards are not toooo expensive.

What jacks are you trying to use? The rear mobo I/O jacks or front case jacks? With most onboard sound, you can use one or the other but not both. Are the sound jumpers installed for rear use or are the cables for the front jacks hooked up? I'm speculating that perhaps when you changed cases you might have overlooked hooking up your sound correctly internally.

I figured it out. =]

The case didn't have front panel sound. (my old one did) So I figured out I had to short a few pins on the front panel connector to make my sound work with some old jumpers.

I'm glad you got it working. However, the better way would be to install the jumpers on motherboard onboard sound pins. When the front panel sound was hooked up originally in the old case, jumpers were removed from the motherboard pins so the front panel could be connected. Switching the sound back to the rear panel means reinstalling the jumpers. You would have to consult your motherboard manual to see which pins should be jumped. But as long as it works, I suppose it doesn't matter that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back