Onboard sound trouble with ASUS A7V400-MX and Windows98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm rebuilding an old system for a customer using their harddrive, cdrom and dvd reader.

The core is:

AMD Sempron 2200+
Asus A7V400-MX motherboard
256mb Ram

My problem is this: everything seems to recognize correctly, but I'm not getting any sound whatsoever on the onboard. It's set up properly in BIOS, shows up in the task bar and says in the device manager that it's configured and functioning correctly.

The system is loaded with Windows98 SE. I've tried everything I can think of but still can't get the sound actually working. The customer is insistant that they get the system back ASAP and I've run out of ideas. Any thoughts?

~Digitalgurl1972

I'd like to apologize in advance for my questions. I'm not being condescending.

Have you checked the master volume window? Is the only muted volume the microphone?

Have you verified that the speakers work? Most system speakers will not play higher bitrate sounds, so sounds will not play if there are no speakers.

Are you certain that you have the speakers plugged into the correct location?

Again, i'm sorry if you've already checked all this stuff. I just want to start out by covering all the bases.

No apology necessary; I deal with people all the time that will throw a hissy fit when you ask the little things that we've all forgotten at one point in time or another. :)

Soundmax installs its own sound control panel...I've just finished re-installing WIN98se over the top of itself to see if it was a matter of some goofy missing file somewhere.

The speakers were working right before I plugged them into the system; I'm using my home speakers since I know they work. I am positive I've got them plugged into the proper jack; it's marked on the back and I also double checked the manual. I know those darn things can get confusing with all the surround sound capabilities on motherboards nowadays.

HOORAAAAAAAAY!!! Windows98 reload is a success; I've got sound now!

Thank Goodness; this woman's a harpy anyway and I really didn't feel like telling her she'd have to wait even longer for me to get her system functioning.

Rhetorical question time: Why do some folks seem to think that their virus programs and operating system never need to be updated? *growl*

Anyway, thanks for the response; hopefully sometime I'll be able to return the favor!

~Dg :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back