Onboard video, no monitor signal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this is my first post here, so im kind of new. I have been looking for help all night, reading forums and cant find the right answer. So ill try to explain my problem the best i can.

I am repairing a teachers gateway computer, and i replaced the motherboard and cpu. Well im trying to use onboard video and i get no signal what so ever and this is a brand new motherboard brand new cpu. So, than i got another motherboard, same problem the onboard video doesnt work. I always have used agp slot for my video card, im not sure how this onboard video works but it shouldnt have to change any jumpers it should just work correct? I mean i turn the power on and all fans and hard drive is on just no signal sent to the monitor. NOTE* My monitor works with other computers.

Ill let you know i have an intel celeron cpu, and my power supply doesnt have a 4 pin connecter. Do i need a power supply with a 4 pin connecter or should that not matter?

Like i said, these are both brand new motherboards and the onboard video just doesnt work. Im using 128mb ram, i think im going to try and use different ram see if that matters. Other than that i have turned on the computer outside of the case and same problem. So if you have any idea's that might help please just throw them out at me. Thanks for reading and taking your time to help. Thanks again

What's the brand and model of the motherboard? It's entirely possible that you need the seperate 4-pin plug to power the cpu. If that's the case and it's not done, the chip won't fire, hence no vid signal.

BTW, Welcome To TechSpot! :wave: Hope we can help.

Ok here are the brands and info on the motherboards i have.

PCCHIPS "M947LU V1.3" SiS648 Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

Model# M947LU

Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4 Processors
Chipset: SiS 648 + SiS 963L
FSB: 533/400MHz
RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 2GB
IDE: 2x UDMA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 3x PCI, 1x CNR
Ports: 2xPS/2,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xVGA,1xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: C-Media CMI9739 6-Channel AC97 CODEC
Onboard Video: Xabre 200 256-bit AGP8X GPU w/ 64M DDR400 Memory
Onboard LAN:10/100Mbps Ethernet w/ VIA VT6103 PHY
Form Factor: ATX

Second MB:

MSI "P4MAM-V" P4M266A Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU

Model# P4MAM-V

Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors(Prescott Ready)
Chipset: VIA P4M266A + VT8235
FSB: 533/400MHz
Memory: 2x DIMM for DDR266 up to 2GB
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 3x PCI, 1x CNR
Ports: 2x PS/2,1x VGA,1xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1x LAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: VIA VT1616 6-Channel Codec
Onboard Video: S3 ProSavage8 Graphics
Onboard LAN: VIA VT6103 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Form Factor: microATX

NOTE: The case im using is for microATX but i ordered the wrong mb first time around which is the first motherboard i listed...but i still tryed this mb outside the case and nothing. The CPU fan works but not sure if the processor is working? Does this processor need the 4 pin atx plug in. Its a Intel Celeron 2.4gHz

Thanks again for the help.

cel said:
Does this processor need the 4 pin atx plug in. Its a Intel Celeron 2.4gHz
Thanks again for the help.

Looking at the board picture, I see the plug in question....therefore, I'd have to say 'yes' to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back