Onboard video upgrade?  Help!

By gtrbryan
Apr 11, 2007
  1. Hello. I have an emachines computer (specs copies below) and am in video hell. The computer has onboard video. It locks up and restarts when running video. The only way I have found to remedy this situation is to completely disable hardware acceleration. I have the latest drivers available.

Would a new video card help the situation? I do have an empty AGP slot. If so, any suggestions on a card. I am not a big gamer, so the latest and greatest is not a consideration. Thanks for any help.

CPU: AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+ Processor
    QuantiSpeed™ Architecture operates at 2.167GHz
    512KB L2 cache & 333MHz FSB
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Chipset: NVIDIA® nForce™2
    Memory: 512MB DDR (PC 2700)
    Hard Drive: 160GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 16x Max. DVD Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD; 8-in-1 Media Reader(USB 2.0, Secure Digital™ (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick®, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
    Video: NVIDIA® GeForce®4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)
    Sound: nForce™ 6-channel Audio
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

A 6200 would work fine, those can be bought for around $30.

I'm sure someone else will try to get you to buy something more expensive/powerful.

You don't want to go too powerful because the PSU's in those emachines are pretty bad.
  3. gtrbryan

gtrbryan TS Rookie Topic Starter

Any suggestions on upgrading the PSU? Thanks!
  4. SNGX1275

Well, you wouldn't have to upgrade the power supply with that card. But for a cheap, solid power supply, I'd recommend FSP.
  5. kenm

kenm TS Rookie

One thing you have to watch out for on the 6200 is some of them use shared memory with your system memory. A lot of the ads for 6200's say they have up to 256MB memory. If it is a 6200LE or any 'Turbocache' model it probably has shared memory.
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

If you don't game at all, the GeForce 4 MX 440 would be perfectly fine. It's dirt cheap (around $30) and will do the job nicely.
  7. mattgreen

mattgreen TS Rookie Posts: 20

to add to that atm i currently am running a similar system with a 6200 and it works great its very cheap and can actualy run a fair few games allright for its price i can evan play call of duty 2 on reasonable settings geting like 540 fps (not very high but good seeming howmuch that cards costs) i have a 7600 gs on order hopefully it will work better :rolleyes:
  8. SNGX1275

Problem with that is its the same price as a 6200. :)
  9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

Before you do anything with an e-crap machine (read the FAQs in the CPU forum), upgrade/replace the PSU. You are running the risk of destroying your system unless you replace the PSU.
  10. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

@SNGX, thanks for the info. How come prices for it have dropped so much? I mean, there's a large performance difference between the two, innit?
  11. mattgreen

mattgreen TS Rookie Posts: 20

dont no witch one is better? lol i just bought a 7600GS from hopefully it will run alot better then the 6200 :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.