One computer in network not connecting to internet (others will connect)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is on a home wireless network with 3 other computers, all of the other computers connect to the internet and work.... mine suddenly won't connect anymore. I mouse over the icons in the bottom right and it says "Wireless Network Connection 2: Wireless Connection Unavailable" and the other icon says "Local Area Connection 4: Network Cable Unplugged".

I am lost, please help.

Thanks so much. :)

Have you setup the SSID properly in the wireless networks tab? Right click and choose View available wireless networks, then choose Change advanced settings. Once in there click on the Wireless networks tab and setup from there. You can also try removing all the security to make sure you can connect that way. Then put things back slowly to see which one (if any) caused the problems.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

just a thought

Hmm, this is similar to my ICS network failure this weekend. I installed Photoshop7.0 on my main computer late Friday night. The next morning the kids were trying to go on-line from the upstairs computer and it was no go. Network has limited or no connectivity. 3 hours later I had to remove Photoshop AND the HP1200 series printer drivers and suddenly everything was back up. I reinstalled the HP printer drivers but left PS7.0 off for now until I can figure out why this happens. Clearly some shared DLL files are being corrupted or over written when HP and Photoshop reside together.

Sooooooo, did you recently install any new software?

have you moved the pc around lately may have loosened the connection,try a replug
and if that don't work right click on the connect and try to enable.
past that I don't use wireless
Good Luck

Works now

No, I hadn't moved the computer or anything.
I reinstalled the software/drivers etc. and now it works.
Thanks for your suggestions though :)

Gosh just when this appeared to be a resolved thread -- I have had the same thing happen to me right now -- A couple of computers on a router they see one another (can open drives etc) but one won't "see" the internet (LAN connection).

This happened suddenly after I ran new antivirus packages (Panda and then Symantecs) to remove the "Dupator" virus that was in 240 places on my Windows ME machine.

As it happens, the software told me to turn off "System Restore" before running this as the virus would restore itself otherwise.

Any ideas on what I can do to try and get this comp online again?

By the way I just joined, hello all! :eek:

Welcome to TechSpot then :wave:

Have you tried uninstalling the antivirus packages? One of them might be blocking the internet connection (I'm guessing at symantec)...

MrGaribaldi said:
Welcome to TechSpot then :wave:

Have you tried uninstalling the antivirus packages? One of them might be blocking the internet connection (I'm guessing at symantec)...

Thanks for the welcome!

Yup did that with the antivirus packs, actually Symantic was a download tool, the Panda was an app and I took it off. Some other weird and inexpected things happened along with the connection problem, Bookshelf (a dict/thes reference tool) opens a DOS window at startup now...(?)

So, actually sitting here troubleshooting for the last coupla hours now I am inclined to give up, wake up early tomorrow and install Win2000 onto the laptop. That's what I have on my big box, it's stable and I know it well. Why has it taken me 4 years to think of this? Slackness.

I do keep my laptop data backed up on an external HDD so it's not such a big deal I guess. I've a Gateway 3350 with 128RAM/600CPU 20GHDD, robust little bugger so I want to give it a chance with a new OS, it's only used for writing anyway.

Q: Any issues I should be aware of before going to W2000?

thanks!

Yeah, that does seem to be the best course of action...

The only issue I can see is that it'll take a while, but aside from that you should be fine...
Just one tip though, if you can, download the Service packs to a local machine and either slipstream them into the installation. Or you could just install them from the desktop. The point being that you shouldn't put the laptop on an internet connection before it's been patched, or it will be infected within minutes...

MrGaribaldi said:
Yeah, that does seem to be the best course of action...

The only issue I can see is that it'll take a while, but aside from that you should be fine...
Just one tip though, if you can, download the Service packs to a local machine and either slipstream them into the installation. Or you could just install them from the desktop. The point being that you shouldn't put the laptop on an internet connection before it's been patched, or it will be infected within minutes...

Hadn't thought of that, but luckily "Dupator" isn't supposed to live in a Win 2000 environment. Actually I'm almost finished, its late Sat night here.

Win 2000 is smooth, there was a bunch of noise like a coffe grinder from my laptop before its all gone and the corrupted sectors of the disk are all repaired after the overinstall! But if there are any snags I'll post again, thanks for the support!

:)

Well guys...my problem was fixed...for about 3 days...
Now, after changing NOTHING...I have my same problem all over again...
All other computers on my 4 computer network will connect to the internet, but mine won't. It just seems to happen for no reason..I haven't unplugged anything, or even used the computer..and suddenly the internet connection won't work, and again, it's just my computer that won't work..all other computers will.
This doesn't make any sense to me...
Can anyone help? :( :)

Sounds like a virus or Trojan then. Do you have anitvirus software? If so do a virus scan (prob update the virsus definitions first.)

So you might as well go ahead and reinstall the software/drivers again to "fix" your network, then you can update your virus definitions. Read this link about HiJackthis software,
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html (follow directions completely)
You can run it and it looks for trojans/viruses that are resident on your harddrive and causing system problems. It makes a log and you can post the log here for experts to look at.
PS. I think I have to do this too tonight, lost LAN connectiuon between the 2 computers on the weekend. :bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back