One computer runs network program much slower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwr_1986

We have a program that is part of our payroll system that resides on our server and is run via a shortcut on the user's station. Our problem is one station experiences rediculously long load times. The normal load should be about 1 minute. This station takes 4 minutes and 45 seconds. The network connection is good, the memory is more than enough (1 gig), and the cpu isn't breaking a sweat. I haven't a clue what is up with this one pc. I have noted that it transfers the data much slower than the other machine but I can't pin point why. The server runs to a gigabit switch and this machine is connected to that same switch. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Jesse

There would be some advantage in knowing what each is running at the time they do the load, ie, processes and apps.

Both machines are idle. There are system processes and antivirus processes running but CPU usage is less than 1%. No other program is running except the task manager when I was trying to find the problem. The times are consistent. Nearly five minutes for the one and only a minute for the other. Oh and the network connection is completely idle before loading.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thanks

Jesse

I assume the hardware is the same in terms of network cards etc between the good and the bad?

Though I dont know your specific software or the antivirus software, I have seen with other software significant slowdown when the AV software is set to scan all the incoming packages (not 5 times though).

The hardware is not exactly the same. However it is close enough. They both have 10/100 network cards and run Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. The one that loads faster is actually a much older and in all respects inferior machine. The one with the problem is less than a year old.

Thanks

Jesse

go to windows task manager and see what's eating cpu processing time. Hard drives can be different resulting in slower load times. Unequal ram as well.

I have posted a screen capture of the network activity graph from each of the computers. You can find them here http://picasaweb.google.com/briscoelake/SoftwareLoadTime . This is not a cpu issue as the cpu never goes above about 27% in use and that is only when the program has finally transferred to memory and is going to run. I thought it would be worth a shot to see if there was any problem with the NIC so I threw in a known good one and tried that. I got nearly the same result. I'm going to try changing ports in our switch to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jesse

I just tested the network cable it was fine. I also switched ports back at the switch. That didn't work. HP told me to try booting with all services and startup programs disabled. I did that too and it did nothing. I'll use the cpu program that intel offers. It should do the same thing.

Thanks

Jesse

Another thought - if the slow comp isn't used for direct access to the net, disable Norton on it (any firewall also).

You could also try flushing the DNS cache if applicable.

Booting up with no sevices took down symantec. It is symantec antivirus corporate edition. I just ran a really long cable down the hall to double check that. Same results. Finally i ran intel's processor identifier and everything checked out fine. I'm really starting to think that there is an issue with the motherboard as this is an integrated NIC. Yet i'm not sure because even with a PCI NIC I had the same results. Thanks

Jesse

Oh yeah, The program is run on a mapped network drive. Could flushing the DNS Cache have any effect on this? I'm seriously running out of ideas. Thanks again

Jesse

Can also try checking that the adapter settings for Speed and Duplex are appropriate - 100 MbS and half-duplex maybe.

Change receive buffers settings.

I'm back to a software issue. I've been using a file of a known size to test the transfer rate to various PC's. The rate is fine from any pc to this one. It is only from the server that it doesn't like it. To my knowledge there is nothing set in this server to limit bandwidth. Again all ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Jesse

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I called a couple friends of mine that run the network at the local college and they were pretty much stumped. They said to take a look at the drivers for the NIC's but that doesn't seem to be it either. I'm wondering if there are alternate drivers out there for a Realtek 8139/810x. I'd just give them a call but they don't sell to consumers so they just tell you to call the manufacturer. The manufacturer promplty says that is beyond the scope of our support.

It a vicious cycle.

Thanks again everyone.

Jesse

OR, just disable that network chip/card and buy/install a new one - probably cheaper than all the time you've spent!

:)

that's a real common NIC device on the motherboard.

it's available for download at the Toshiba site for MX35-s161

I've disabled it and installed another NIC. It didn't help. But the other NIC showed up as the same model so that is not entirely surprising.

Thanks

Jesse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back