One Computer Won't Connect to Internet

Every other device in the house connects to the wi-fi, but when I try to connect from my desktop computer, it won't take the network key. Every time I enter the password, the window just pops back up asking for it again. I've checked the network key on other devices, and it is definitely correct. What might be the problem?

Hey theoxeny. Is this desktop pc also connected to the router by Ethernet cable
Did this pc ever connect wirelessly
What OS is the desktop running, and which level of encryption,WPA,WPA2 or WEP

Hey theoxeny. Is this desktop pc also connected to the router by Ethernet cable
Did this pc ever connect wirelessly
What OS is the desktop running, and which level of encryption,WPA,WPA2 or WEP

1. No, it's not connected to anything by an Ethernet cable.
  2. Yes, this PC has been able to connect wirelessly to the Internet at every house we've lived in but this one.
  3. Windows 7 64-bit and WEP.

I myself don't believe there is a problem with the wireless adapter myself, I believe the problem is something awry with some file(s) in Win7.
Is the system at the Win7 SP1 level ?.

Have you run a full Anti-Virus and full Anti-Malware scan, maybe a scan for rootkits also?

For rootkit detection, I use Kaspersky TDSSKiller
http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

If anything really bad is found, I would turn off System Restore to flush out old restore points,reboot, then turn on System Restore and create a new restore point.

To really verify if there is a problem with something in the Win7 software, if you have one, you could use one of those wireless USB adapters (disable your current wireless adapter in Device Manager temporarily), install the USB adapter drivers and see if you can connect. If you get the same symptoms, something is wrong in the OS, in which case I would try to do a system restore to a date before this problem started.

I myself don't believe there is a problem with the wireless adapter myself, I believe the problem is something awry with some file(s) in Win7.
Is the system at the Win7 SP1 level ?.

Have you run a full Anti-Virus and full Anti-Malware scan, maybe a scan for rootkits also?

For rootkit detection, I use Kaspersky TDSSKiller
http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/tdsskiller

If anything really bad is found, I would turn off System Restore to flush out old restore points,reboot, then turn on System Restore and create a new restore point.

To really verify if there is a problem with something in the Win7 software, if you have one, you could use one of those wireless USB adapters (disable your current wireless adapter in Device Manager temporarily), install the USB adapter drivers and see if you can connect. If you get the same symptoms, something is wrong in the OS, in which case I would try to do a system restore to a date before this problem started.

Yes, it has SP1.

I ran AVG antivirus and scanned for rootkits. No threats found.

I'll have to try a different wireless USB adapter when I can.

Have you tried removing the old wireless connection that you previously connected to when it worked. Go to manage wireless connections remove it and then try and connect to it again. Also try going to device manager uninstall wireless network driver but leave the software there will be a question when you go to uninstall reboot computer and try to connect to wifi. Let me know if this helps.

Back