TechSpot

One for the memory experts perhaps?

By AlbertLionheart
Nov 27, 2008
  1. Brand bew Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (no cheap trash here!) with 2 sticks of new Crucial BL12864AA804.8FE5. Refused to complete the Vista install so tried again with a couple of sticks of Kingston - no further problems.
    Checking the Asus book of words is says that Crucial BL12864AA804.16FD or BL12864AA804.16FD3 is approved.
    Is the difference enough to make the board reject the memory??

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

I'm tied up tomorrow so I'll make my friday post today;

2 things-

1 - every single QVC stick at 2048 on the list is DS (double sided).

2 - there have been 2 Bios updates regarding Ram; is yours the latest?

3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,026

thanks CCT

these are DIMMS

dunno about the BIOS updates - will have a scrute at it tomorrow and let you know...

4. CCT

'these are DIMMS'

Yes indeed, they are. BUT the Ram you bought is single-sided (8 high density chips versus 16 lower density chips on double sided).

5. AlbertLionheart

Cheers - looking at them is not helkful as they have heat-shields on both sides so you cannot see what is underneath!

6. CCT

I hope I didn't steer you wrong - those sticks are 1 Gb each aren't they? They are SS, and apparently, if they are the Ballistix version, are problematic.

The 2 Gb DS Crucial would have been a better install.

After reading a couple other articles, the difference between SS and DS got more confusing.

This link has some comments that you might find of interest;

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache...l+BL12864AA804.8FE5&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=12&gl=ca

7. AlbertLionheart

Yerp - they are the Ballistix. Was not aware that these can be a problem so will have a quiet word with Crucial if they don't work on another board. Useful link!
    Thanks for your help!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.