One gig of Ram vs Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

legendz411

So... As I am building my new PC, I am at the point where I am only two parts away from finishing it with the critical components. My original thought was to get 2gigs of DDR400 ram and run that, but I opted for 1gig of Crucial Ballistix 2-2-2-6 T1 ram as it was faster then the 2gigs I would be running, and it is CONSIDERABLY cheaper. Thus, I'd be able to finnaly finish this summer-long project. Plus, I could always add two more sticks and hit 2gigs with 4 sticks of 512mb RAM running real fast and dual channel. Least thats my reckoning on it.

So what do you gurus think? Should I just shell out for the 2gigs NOW or will my 1gig plan work. I plan to play games on this but I will be running:

AMD Athlon64 3800+ 2.4gig
250gig 7200RPM SATA II HDD
eVGA GeForce 7600GT KO (Plus my own OC on top of their stock OC)

Plus the memory...

Whats the concensus?

Glad to hear it. Espcially since 1gig of tightly timed ram really hits that sweet spot for me in the $$$ department. I didn't figure I would, especially since the 2gigs was timed at around 2.5-3-3-6, but cost nearly $100 more. Thanks for the quick reply, I get paid tomorrow so I was purchsing the RAM tomorrow.

/Ta!

But if your planning on upgrading to WinVista in 07' then i would highly reccommed going up to 2GB, especially for the Aero effex.

...AMD

I dont. I'm staying with XP till DX10 is a stable and widly-used API. Until then, I have NO reason to use Vista. XP + DX9 FTW!

I figured Vista would take around 512mb of ram itself :p Besides, look what happened wih XP. So many entuhsiast began running it in Classic mode cuz the pretty mode ate so much resources...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back