One slighly dodgy looking HJT entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

I've been de-pwning a seriously buggered up machine, got it to the stage where nothing is visibly wrong... bar an IE-alike 'could not connect, work offline' style window appearing after a few minutes of the machine being on (and online).

Theres an "Update.exe" running, which is in a random hex titled folder under C:\Program Files\Common Files, and the directory has a services.dll in it. Nothing has identified it as being suspicious, none of Spybot/Adaware/Microsoft Defender/AVG/Web scanners like Trend anyway.

Theres a HJT log attached, if any of the people who actually use Windows more often than I do and deal with these logs every day can figure out what it is I'd be appreciative.

I've just noticed two dodgy entries on that myself now (ismon/ishost.exe). Damn I'm rusty when it comes to Windows...

You`ve got quite a nasty infection there.

Download and run these three tools. Follow the instructions for each tool.

Tool1. Tool2. Tool3.

Post a fresh HJT log after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of MYOB only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Right, run them all. The Update.exe is still there, and I've noticed a BHO entry with a really suspicious name...

Download the Pocket Killbox programme from HERE. Extract it but don`t run it yet.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {A4F94C0C-54A7-4DB1-9AF3-B22E63D00311} - C:\WINDOWS\g158546.dll

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winjjq32 - winjjq32.dll (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Run the killbox.exe file. When it loads type the full path to the file you would like to delete in the field and check the delete file on reboot button. press the Delete File button (looks like a red circle with a white X). It will prompt you to reboot, select no until you have finished inputting the files you want to delete, only then allow it to reboot and hopefully your files will now be deleted.

This is the filepath your need to enter into killbox.

C:\WINDOWS\g158546.dll

Once your system has rebooted, turn system restore back on and post a fresh HJT log.

This thread is for the use of MYOB only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

OK, done all that, seems to be down to the Update.exe thing now, at least that I notice... but you've seen lots that I didn't so far.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

Update.exe

Close task manager.

Locate and delete the following bold file.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\{F48A4F20-0AEE-6153-0428-060715050161}\Update.exe

Other than that your HJT log is clean.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Done. Thanks Howard, owe you a pint of whatever at any hypothetical point I meet you in the future ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back