OnePlus 3 smartphone to arrive by June

Shawn Knight

Staff member

OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei has revealed that the Chinese handset maker will release its next flagship smartphone by the end of the second quarter of this year.

In an exclusive interview with CNET, Pei said he hopes the OnePlus 3 – which will actually be the company's fourth model – will "captivate" users as much as the original did in 2014. The executive was short on details but said the next flagship will feature a new design.

As the publication points out, OnePlus doesn't publish sales figures although it claims to have more than 800,000 users on its online forum that share tips, tricks and other experiences regarding their phones.

Aside from its attractive price, much of what garnered attention for the three-year-old company early on was the exclusivity generated by its unique invite-only sales model. That gimmick has likely run its course, however, as Pei said OnePlus will begin using more traditional marketing strategies.

Pei also told the publication that the US will be very important for his company this year, added that the OnePlus 3 will arrive in the US and other markets as an unlocked device that'll continue to be sold directly to consumers. Best yet, he said OnePlus expects to offer a "better" buying process which (fingers crossed) may mean moving away from the annoying invite-only model.

And for the first time, they'll accept credit card payments in addition to PayPal. Free shipping is also sticking around, we're told.

Permalink to story.

The oneplus 2 was a smartphone that I was looking forward to buy, but since it was invitation only and I was in need of a smartphone I bought an LG G3 and can't say I regret it.

Even after a while I got glad I didn't buy the OPO 2, after the USB 2.0 with USB 3.0 type C connector fiasco.

Let's see how they manage it this time, hopefully there will be improvements on the distribution channels to avoid sales loss due to unavailability.

OnePlus does the testing of upcoming releases for Oppo.
The OnePlus One, minus a few features, is nothing more than the Oppo Find7
The OnePlusX, minus a few features, is the Oppo A30.
The OnePlus Two, was suppose to be released as the Oppo Find9, in December 2015, but
was canceled until 2016, after the SD820 chip is in full production. The OnePlus version of
the Find9, the OnePlus Two, due to their use of the overheating plagued SD810 didn't work
out as well as Oppo wanted, plus, they used an inferior Usb-c "like" cable had issues.
OnePlus, marketed the OnePlus2 as "the first to use USB-C, but although that was somewhat
correct, the PORT inside the phone, was the older USB-2 port/speed. It did not have the USB-C/3.0
port speed.
Oppo, continues to use OnePlus, to test their designs, buy releasing the phones DIRT CHEAP, minus
the removable batteries, NFC, extSD cards etc. Once the bad feedback of problems is cleared up
they release a new batch and see if it is fixed. If so, they put in the missing features, and release them
as the Oppo Find series.
My guess is the OnePlus 3 will come out, and if the bugs are few, the Oppo Find9 will be released shortly
after.
If you get a Oppo branded OnePlus that works, it's a pretty good buy, but if you have problems, its
blind man's luck if you can get support.

My wife has a OnePlus2 and for the money it's a stellar phone. They patched it quite a bit early on and fixed all the problems, so very impressed. As for the cable thing - it's really not an issue - just don't use that cable with anything but the phone.

Back