OnePlus One pre-order window opens next week, but only for an hour

Shawn Knight

Staff member

oneplus smartphone handset pre-order phone oneplus one

The OnePlus One smartphone from OnePlus has been making waves since early this year. The high-end handset with a ridiculously low price tag has earned quite the following due to the fact that you can only buy one through invite. But that’s all about to change as the OnePlus One will be within reach of everyone starting next week.

On October 27 at 3 p.m. GMT, the company will begin accepting pre-orders for their smartphone. At 4 p.m. GMT, they’ll close down the pre-order window. If you don’t get your pre-order in during the golden hour, you’re out of luck. Geez, talk about exclusivity.

For those not up to speed, the OnePlus One features a 5.5-inch, 1080p display and is powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Soc clocked at 2.5GHz alongside 3GB of RAM. Around back is a 13-megapixel rear-facing camera from Sony and a 5-megapixel shooter up front.

Elsewhere, the handset includes dual-band 801.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, GSM, WCDMA, LTE and a 3,100mAh battery. It ships with a custom version of Android, CyanogenMod, that’s already a favorite among smartphone enthusiasts looking to get the most out of their phones.

While the specs were certainly more impressive earlier this year when the phone was first announced, it’s still a heck of a deal at only $299 for a 16GB model.

OnePlus said in a blog post that they’ve tested their servers extensively in anticipation of next week’s big day but they know anything can happen and they’re asking for patience in the event of a technical issue.

Will you be placing a pre-order for the OnePlus One?

Permalink to story.

Why is this phone so special? I heard it has a lot of bugs since it's running Cyanogenmod. Yeah it's fast and cheap but so is Moto X and Nexus and you can install Cmod on both of those phones.

Or if you really want one, just head over to their user forum section or facebook. I see a ton of people offering invites...not sure how legit, but they are there. I see they are taking the ZTE or Xaomiabcdefg approach...built 30,000, offer them for one hour, sell em, then say how you sold out in an hour. I guess that is the norm in China. Cuts down on overstock, but ticks off customers around the world, use to just ordering it and getting it.

This is a great phone. I myself have used the phone for a while. My background is with Galaxy S4. I am never buying another Samsung Phone.

Why is this phone so special? I heard it has a lot of bugs since it's running Cyanogenmod. Yeah it's fast and cheap but so is Moto X and Nexus and you can install Cmod on both of those phones.

Nexus 5 is cheap... no longer true for Nexus 6 and its $649 price tag.

Back