Online Hardware Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daninku

I need to buy a laptop soon. Basically its primary usage is school work, and a non intense gaming, such as a few racing games and some simulations. Anyway, I just noticed that over here the prices are SKY HIGH! From the US you can get the same laptop for half the price easily, I think even more!

So my first question would be, are there any good onlien stores which you recommend? I never bought any hardware stuff, only DVDs online so I don't have experience.

Unfortunately it does not seem to have the type of notebook I'm looking for, although good prices compared to ours.

With $1,470 I can only buy an Intel Dual Core, 1GB memory and an integrated Intel GM945 GPU. To get a descent laptop over here I have to pay freakin $2,650!! if not more.

I tend to steer clear of ebay, but you can find decent deals from time to time.

Exactly what kind of notebook are you looking for and what is your price range?

go with a big name retailer; Bestbuy.com CompUSA.com

personally, I would never buy a system off eBay, imo, a very bad, risky proposition :knock:

Leave EBay as a last option. I would suggest HP's Pavilion line. I have an HP Pavilion DV5242EA that I bought recently. It's called the D6000T or something like that in the US and it's for around $1000, which is the equivalent amount I paid in UAE Dirhams here. It comes with a Core Duo 1.83 GHz processor, 1GB of DDR2 RAM, a 100GB HDD & a GeForce 7400 256MB graphics card, along with the usual stuff like a DVD burner etc. Maybe u will like it.

Daninku said:
Ok I'll leave ebay for now.
HMM.. rage, such system would set me back around $1800!! As I said earlier, laptops are almost doubled the price here.
convert your emotional wants into real cash savings
by trimming your selection into what's really required :)

A laptop, after all, is portable and features to keep it running as long as possible
(imo) are high priority. Dual core is neat - high - tech buzz, but it eats both
batteries and CASH$$$$$ :)

I was a real cheap-skate getting my laptop, and ended up with a 1.3ghz 512mb
Celeron for $700USD after the rebate. Sure it's not top of the line, but
I didn't pay 2x for it either.

btw: I run Cygwin Unix emulation regularly -- you ought to see this thing
compile code -- pleanty fast enough for software development.

My laptop battery runs for 4 hours on a full charge and I also keep a spare battery at hand. I would recommend that u get one too Daninku.

Now that's a good idea!! I never had a laptop before, so do you have to pay attention which batteries to buy? Maybe there are different batteries?

LOL, no. I mean that when u buy laptops from most manufacturers like HP, u can get a spare battery if u pay extra. And that's the battery identical to the one in ur laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back