online multiplayer game, unable to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic

Heres the deal.
I got Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance a long time ago. Some time ago I wanted to get the Mercinaries version, but i could only find this with Vengeance and Black Night. Mechwarrior 4 Black Night is an expansion pack for mechwarrior 4 Vengeance. So i got the whole thing.
Three weeks ago I decided to send my brother in Cali MechWarrior 4 Vengeance, since i had two copies, so we can play online together. Three weeks later he got the game, got lost or something, tonight we tried to play.
When he tried to connect to the game I stated, hosted, it would tell him there was a network problem and he couldnt connect. He could see my game on the "Server Browser" but everytime he tried to join he got the same thing. There is a problem with the network.

He is on AOL dialup with an xp machine, we figured it as something to do with the AOL firewall, if there is one built into aol, and ports. I found this article on microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309128 .
It has something about ports. But I am not sure how to set this up.
I think he has service pack 2 installed, if that makes a difference. I guess it would since service pack 2 has some kind of firewall as well.

Is there a way i can disable the AOL firewall and setup the xp firewall? Or the other way around? I know I can disable the xp firewall but how do i set up the aol firewall to open the neccesary ports?
Does any of this make sence? Its been a long monday, started at 2am and its now about 9 thirty pm, im a little burned out :hotouch:

Any help is appreciated.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back