Online PC gaming with wireless internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have wireless internet and do alot of online gaming?

I have heard bad stories about it, that the time it takes to send signals is pretty visable when you are playing mainly FPS games. Is it really that bad?

Thanks

Not likely. The ping on my wireless is the same as on my network card.

And the thoroughput, even with a weak signal, is faster than DSL by a longshot.

I have had bad experiences with wireless gaming on the internet. Even though I can ping my gateway with incredibly low times I get huge latency when actually playing an online game. I no longer game via wireless. When I was testing all of this I was playing Diablo II, Asheron's Call 2, Quake III, Unreal Tournament, and UT2K3.

Ive played games like WArcraft 3 online trough wireless and it wasnt bad. But i didnt notice a slight difference in speed. So if you are worried... plug in. Thats all i can say.

even the slowest wireless networks these days run at 11mbps which is still even faster than most broadband connections. if you have a slow down then you probably have a bottleneck somewhere else *too many walls btwn wireless router and computer, a really old computer, etc etc*. unless you're talking 100% wireless (ie, your connection to your isp is set up wirelessly, in which case i dont know, i've never heard of this sort of thing yet) then you should be fine.

Everquest and Wireless Internet?

Anyone played EQ and using Wireless internet? We have no other high speed internet around here outside of wireless or satellite (HUGE latency problem), and it's my system or the way EQ is designed but I get booted within 2-5 min of being online. I notice no latency at ALL, but I can't stay logged in to save my butt. Anyone out there have some experience in this that could give me a hand with this? I just can't continue to play EQ on 28.8 dialup /gag. BTW this is on my main comp..not a cell or otherwise. And yes I have way more than the specs call for :)

Frustrated EQ player

A friend of mine uses a WISP and he's iffy. Some game evenings he's okay....and that's using TeamSpeak as well.....sometimes he just has a helluva time. Major packet loss....BUT he's also out in the boondocks and had to put up a tower on his pole barn just to GET the signal. Closer to the antenna with line-of-sight would be much better, I'm sure.

By the way Filty - there is a huge difference between latency and throughput. In an FPS game latency is everything. You really only need about 3-5k of throughput per user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back