OnLive rebooted: What went wrong?

By Julio Franco
Aug 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I remember the first time I saw OnLive demoed for me. Three years ago, I was ushered into a conference room on Manhattan's Midtown East neighborhood and saw Crysis running of the cloud gaming service's network. It looked impressive, sure,……

Read more
  2. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 812   +18

Who will maintain such servers? You essentially need a $500 video card for each user and how much memory can servers handle? The same is true of the new windows server that acts like a mainframe. Would you need 4 terabytes of memory for 1000 users? No such servers are built and even if split up think of the expense.
  3. TekGun

TekGun TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 156   +11

Totally agree with tony, on top of all that there's the bandwidth. This idea was/is never going to be worth it.
  4. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,039   +218

What games are you playing I would love to know as my 460GTX is worth what $100 and it plays every single game out at max except BF but it plays it 1 below ultra! and 4TB of RAM for 1000 users... you crazy bro? what games require 50GB of ram haha.

The servers required for onlive wouldn't need to be as high cost as $100 billion dollars like you think tony actually far from it I think they would only need $50million dollars in servers for around 1 million users, the main cost of all this would be electric and bandwidth.
  5. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,853   +342

you are annoyed but the lack of wifi, but do you realize the ping that it would cause? the ping required by onlive practically requires a wired connection.

Everything else I agree with though.
  6. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

I remember when OnLive was first announced and I published my "I dunno about this" comments. Too many hardware issues and publisher contracts to overcome. On the surface a great idea, but just too much, too fast. Not surprised at this at all....
  7. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 573   +31

Yeah it still reminds me of Sega Channel that our cable company provided way back. Only I believe that actually worked for it's time. OnLive still has a long way to go to catch up with this 'nothing new' concept.
  8. The premise of streaming games is still perfectly sound. All the naysayers will use this as "proof" of the model being flawed, but the problem is really just that disruptive technologies take a long time and lots of investment before they start turning a profit, that puts a lot of strain on a small startup like OnLive was.
  9. This streaming crap will be the DEATH of gaming as we know it! I wanna own what I pay for! I don't want to rent and subscribe to every little thing in life. I'm sick of the money-milking! Don't fool yourselves for a second, guys. If game-developers could get away with it, games on future consoles, computers and whatever else would become a subscription service. After all, it's the only way to really stop piracy, isn't it? So you better believe it, this is what they want the future of gaming to be like. And it's not just games! Soon enough you'll have to subscribe for your O/S, and everything else.

Sure, I play MMOs, but I'm sick of being at the mercy of some EULA saying I can't even talk the way I talk "in public" because it's "bad language". Who the hell is Blizzard or Bioware to tell me how to talk and how to act? We have free speech in my country! That's the law! And then some unimportant little rabble of nerds decide "To hell with your laws, we have our own laws and you will follow them or else!". Imagine a world where all your savegames, friendslists and everything associated with your games is at the mercy of the sensibilities of some pimple-faced squint and his fat uncle! I don't like it!
  10. rgreen

rgreen Newcomer, in training

What a stupid comment, to say cloud gaming will never be worth it when in fact one day it will be the only way to play.
  11. rgreen

rgreen Newcomer, in training

I get perfectly good results on wifi.

12. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,853   +342

I did too, but I had noticable delays occasionally because of ping.
  13. wastedkill wrote: ""and 4TB of RAM for 1000 users... you crazy bro? what games require 50GB of ram haha."

Math has never been your strongest point, now has it son?
  14. Gumpngreen

Gumpngreen Newcomer, in training

I think cloud gaming will only come into its own when paired with a MMO which is designed from the ground up to not incorporate the client-server model. What do I mean? Dramatic 10,000+ strong war engagements with real-time physics-based combat that's not based upon the client-server limitations. Heck, you could have the landscape being blasted into bits with debris flying everywhere.
  15. 4TB or ram would be about 50 grand. So wheres the issue here when were talking about a multi million dollar data center?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.