TechSpot

Only 1 IDE HDD conect on MoBo! DVD Hook Up?

By craigdexter1
Nov 22, 2007
  1. ASUS M2A-MVP has only 1 Hook up for the IDE ribbon. SO.....
    Should I set the DVD-ROM to Slave and HDD to master and hook them both to the same ribbon?

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

You can do, altho it is generally considered better to put them on different cables. I personally have never had a problem with either setup.

3. craigdexter1

craigdexter1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

If there is only 1 EIDE port on the MoBo the how can I run 2 seperate cables?

4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You can't. It is something that is usually done, but you don't really have a choice. Unless you are going to heavily use the DVD drive, it is not going to impact the hard drive performance in any significant way.

5. craigdexter1

How can I run another DVD drive to the system? Is it possible with both plugs on the EIDE cable occupied?

6. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

use external drive or buy a sata or ide controller card for pci slot if you have one available.
    if only 1 ide connection can only have 2 devices
    if USB port can get external dvd player for it

7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Uhm.. Assuming that you haven't used up all your SATA connectors, simpy get a SATA DVD drive!

8. craigdexter1

Never thought about SATA!

9. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

the SATA would be the best place to put 1 or 2 hard drives. then u could use the IDE drive for backup.

10. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

they way it was put Should not assume ,but I did that all there was was the one ide connection
    there are 4 sata connections on the board
    dump the ide drive get a good sata dirve
    simple YES

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.