Ooold Gateway 2000 won't turn on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cephas

Okay, it's a Gateway 2000 "LP MINI-TOWER" I think... It was working just a couple of mins ago... I just brought it down from my loft, maybe it's like, dusty inside or something...

It feels like when I push the on button, there isn't that kind of satisfying "click" when you push it all the way in, it just springs back softly... But I might be wrong.

I've checked all the cables and everything...any suggestions?

It the power supply to the computer. The box on the back where the power cord plugs into. I am not saying this IS what your problem is, just a possibility.

replace your cmos battery.
dust out the insides with a can of air
lightly reseat all cards to remove oxidation. If really oxidized take a pencil eraser and lightly buff contacts on cards.
ensure you grounded at all times.

You could also follow the wires from the power switch you pressed on the front of the case to where they connect to the motherboard. Then pull that plastic plug off the motherboard (remembering where it went) and touch the 2 pins together with a flathead screwdriver (nonmagnetic preferred). If it starts up, you've got a bad switch.

Right...I can't actually find a way to pull off the front plate... it obviously comes off somehow, I can see it bending but... Has only got this PC? Maybe they can get the instructions, cause they've been binned years ago...

The back probably has a couple screws you can take out on the right side, then that side panel (left as you are looking at front of computer) comes off either the front or back. If there are no screws on the back then the actual front plastic may come off, those can come off in a variety of ways...

Nope, I don't know what version it is really... It just has "Gateway2000" on the front and on a sticker at the back: "LP MINI-TOWER, E14350" etc...

Don't know what to tell you other than you are going to have to find a way into that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back