Open Ports for Network - Norton 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm trying to confirm the rule I've amended in the Norton 360 firewall on a laptop running Vista HP for my wireless network. There was a default rule "Block Windows File Sharing" which I have changed to "Allow..." but what I don't understand is that under "Only communications that match all types and ports listed below" it only has "local netbios-ssn (port139)" listed. I'm swapping files OK with a PC running XP on my WLAN in both directions and accessing its printer, but according to Vista Help I should have all these ports open --
UDP 3702, TCP 5357, TCP 5358, UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139, UDP 1900 & TCP 2869.
Can someone please enlighten me about this discrepancy.
TIA

Bets advice is to ditch Norton 360.

I've had a number of customers who complained that their comps are really slow and Norton 360 was the culprit. It's often overkill for their purposes and bogs down your system. There are much more efficient Internet Security systems out there that can suit your needs.

-- Andy

Thanks for the response. I'm using it because it was bundled. It isn't (AFAIK) causing any problems, I'm just trying to understand which ports should be open and why.

loosend said:
UDP 3702, TCP 5357, TCP 5358, UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139, UDP 1900 TCP 2869.

UDP 3702, Web Service Discover[1]
TCP 5357, TCP 5358, Web Services for devices[1]
UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139, [2]
UDP 1900 SSDP not necessary and can be disabled (port 5000 too)
TCP 2869. ICSLAP
(Windows XP SP2, SSDP event notification service will rely on TCP port 2869)

[1] unless you have a webserver on this system, disable this port
[2] these are typical Windows ports for System Names and File sharing

conclusion: dump ALL except UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139 +445

Hello loosend and welcome to TechSpot.

I agree with almcneil. Remove Norton 360 and use another anti-virus/firewall combination such as those listed below:
AVG or Avast anti-virus
ZoneAlarm, Sunbelt, or Comodo firewall

Note: Use only one anti-virus and one firewall program at a time.

Regards :)

I agree and personally use Comodo -- just thought this was a good place to
document the ports shown :)

On one of my PCs I use AVG anti-virus and Comodo firewall. I've also used others and although I could discuss their various good and bad points at some length I'd have thought that's a bit incidental to the question of which ports should be open.
Thanks for the ports info jobeard. You concluded that UDP 137, UDP 138, TCP 139 & 445 are required, which takes me back to my original question, namely why am I getting away with file sharing rule that only specifies TCP 139?

the ports play different roles and 445 is an alternative to 139.

138 gives you the system names show in
Entire Network->ms Windows Network->xxx
where xxx is your WorkGroup Name (like MSHOME, WORKGROUP, ... whatever)
every name under xxx is acquired via port 138

This says you can have File/Print sharing w/o being able to see the names :)

OK thanks for that, it's beginning to make a bit more sense. As my set-up seems to be working I won't tweak it any more for the present but I've noted down the port info for future reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back