Opera 41 drastically speeds up the process of opening multiple tabs simultaneously

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you’re like me, it’s not uncommon to have dozens of tabs loaded across multiple displays. While having that many tabs open doesn’t typically present much of a problem, it can be quite taxing if you happen to launch them all at once – especially if you are running dated hardware and / or are lacking in the RAM department.

It’s this very scenario that web browser maker Opera has tackled in its latest release.

Krystian Kolondra, SVP of Global Engineering for Opera, notes in a recent blog post that Opera 41 includes a smarter startup sequence that eliminates a significant amount of wait time when opening multiple tabs at once as demonstrated in the clip above.

It does this by prioritizing which of your previously used tabs are likely to be the most important to you – namely, the ones you had opened most recently. Kolondra says that in tests with more than 42 tabs open in the previous session, startup time can be improved by up to 86 percent.

Elsewhere, when using battery saving mode, Opera 41 can now detect which codec can be hardware-accelerated and will try to choose said codec when video conferencing via WebRTC. The new browser also delivers a fully hardware-accelerated video pop-out. Again, this should reduce the strain put on the CPU and free up resources for other tasks.

Permalink to story.

Let me guess the Laptop on the right has a N3710 CPU with 4GB of RAM and SSD while the one on the left has a N3050 with 2GB and a HDD.

"If you’re like me, it’s not uncommon to have dozens of tabs loaded across multiple displays. While having that many tabs open doesn’t typically present much of a problem, it can be quite taxing if you happen to launch them all at once – especially if you are running dated hardware and / or are lacking in the RAM department."

Well, I am not "exactly" like you. I guess we could be half-brothers. All my systems are single displays. But I always have a ridiculous amount of open tabs in whatever browser I happen to be using. And every time I launch a browser and see all of the previously opened tabs refreshing their contents I cringe. It's not even that I don't have the processing power or the bandwidth. It just makes absolutely no sense to perform a refresh of that many tabs all at once.

I've just recently began using the Opera browser again since they introduced the VPN feature. It's very easy to use. Flick of the switch.

This is a smart and welcome feature update as well.

"I thought all modern web browsers since 2015 had a "Don't load tabs until selected" option?"

You would think this feature would be a no-brainer. Maybe they can add this option later as well for even more performance tuning.

Back