Opera gaining ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Opera Software said Tuesday that its Web browser had been downloaded a record 10 million times already this year, showing growing signs of use despite Microsoft's continued dominance.

Read more: CNet News.

It'll be nearly impossible for Opera & Mozilla to become a true IE competitor (usage wise) given that IE comes with Windows, and so, pre-installed with 98% of all systems sold. In the other hand however, Microsoft has said they are no longer interested in developing IE further, making browsers like Opera more attractive given the extended features and functionality.

For me, it's easy to see why it's gaining ground. It's got all the features, and speed, that if you use it, you wish IE had. The only problem with it, is some pages will not load correctly or at all, but that is getting more rare, in just the month or two that I have been using it. After my initial problems I had with the browser crashing, I got that solved, with advice from people here at TechSpot and haven't had a crash since, probably three weeks or so.

Again as others have said here, try it, you'll like it. My opinion is it's going to get better and better and keep gaining ground on IE.

Well I'm glad I bought it :D
Go opera!!!

The Z and X keys for back and forward are neat, although I tend to use the mouse gestures for navigating (hold left click and move right for forward, left click and move left for back).

yeah those are nice. Only I have forward and back buttons on my mouse anyway, so I don't have to use them that often, but it is nice to switch between tabbed windows by clicking and scrolling.

You can bet Microsoft'll come around after some time, annoucing a new Internet Explorer with all those features Opera/Mozilla have though.

well.........Microsoft only said it wasnt interested in DEVELOPING IE any further they didnt say they werent interested in swiping develpments from other borswer and incorporating them into IE.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back