Opinions On Asus Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it yourself, no AI Overclocking, and do not use PEG-Link. That just overclocks the PCI-E bus, not the video cards themselves. Plus it just makes the video cards unstable while causing no noticeable performance difference. And Upgrade your PSU from a generic brand before you overclock. You shouldn't be running SLI on a generic 450 Watt.

I haven't had any problems so far.. but I am going to replace it soon.

I cranked the FSB up to 1000/667 and it seems pretty stable under the highest I can throw at it. Under windows comp properties it say I'm now running Pent D 2.66 Ghz, 3.33 Ghz (this used to say 2.67) and 2Gb Ram. Does that mean 1 core is still running at factory level or something?

thanks for answering like all my posts MetalX ;)

Wow you guys were serious about not overclocking and running SLI mode with a generic power supply. I think the power supply lasted about 12 hours of this, I was in my room folding laundry while my comp was encoding an .iso file when the power supply exploded. Literally.

I ran down to the nearest compusa and got a BFG 650W power suplly thats SLI certified and it had dual 12v rails, which my motherboard also had plugs for. Hooked it up and it booted right back up and started running like nothing had happened.

You guys think I'm good now?

I also noticed the inside of my case was excessively hot so I got 3 mopre 80mm fans I have 3 blowing into the case and 3 sucking out of the case right now.

I am using the stock fan for the cpu still.... (with artic silver though not that stock grease square crap)......

3.33ghz is pretty good on stock cooling. You might be able to take the 805 a bit higher on air but above 3.6 you would want to look into water cooling. Did the extra case fans help the air temp in the box?

Umm I'm not sure, How do you know the temp inside your case?

I'm sure 3 more fans will help.

Before this was how it was setup.

One 80mm fan on the sidepanel sucking in air and blowing it directly onto the cpu fans/heatsink.
One 80mm Fan sucking in air in the front bottom of the tower.
And one 120mm fan pushing air though the power suplly and out the back.
(^which exploded^)

Now the power supply has 2 80mm fans directing air out of the case.
And 2 80mm fans sucking in air and blowing it across the cpu and RAM/top of mobo.
The 3rd 80mm fan is blowing air directly out the top of my case (heat rises right)

I was thinking of getting an artic master water cooling system and a zalman cpu water block for about 140$ and maybe some RAM heat spreaders and HD fans. My harddrives and DVD drives stayed HOT long while the case was 100% open and I removed the bad PSU, It really made me want to make sure everything stayes cool from now on.

http://www.xoxide.com/kwcoolingsys.html

Opinions?

Download Everest or speedfan to find the temperatures of your case. Alternately, since you have an ASUS mobo, you could use ASUS PC Probe to check them. Just a suggestion to keep your computer cool. If you don't want water cooling, or you'd prefer an alternative, get a bigger case, and fill up every single fan slot with a fan, preferably a high speed fan like a Vantec Tornado. Also, get a Zalman 9700 for your CPU. This will make your computer horribly loud (assuming you use Vantec Tornadoes) and very cool.

Alternately, don't buy a new case, just keep adding fans until every fan slot is full, and cut off the fan grille's at the back of the case.

Rayss523 said:
thanks for answering like all my posts MetalX ;)
I wasn't aware that I was doing so, but you're welcome :D

I think i am going to go with water cooling, just by replacing my power supply unit my comp has gotten much quieter. i dont have space for any 120mm fans.
thanks for the software suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back