Opinions on crappy speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Staff
I am living off of ramen and water, so you can imagine my budget. ;)

I'm looking for a good value (of course) in the 30 dollar range, prefereably less. They don't have to be great, but I'm wondering if I should go for a nice 2 speaker set, or cruddy 3 piece set with subwoofer.. Which would be better? Any brand suggestions?

If you can find a set of Altec Lansing AC-33. It is a three piece set, two satelites and a sub. I think they will serve you well. I bought a set a while back for an older system I have and they sound pretty good. They cost me around $35 but I'm sure they are lower now if you can still find a set.

I am just curious as to the actual quality of any of these sets of speakers. Personally I have my line out going to my stereo and I use some crappy rear speakers as my PC speakers. It sounds pretty good, just not base......which isn't a bad thing, but.....

Should I invest in a decent set of desktop speakers like Rick?

So you are saying I should get a set of desktop speakers? I guess I'll take a look around and try and find a cheap quality set.

I agree with you about good sound. My car audio is very nice. Just never thought about putting money into something like this though. Guess now is the time.

Guys...the Logitech's I posted aren't in any way crappy speakers. They're just cheap :D Really, read some reviews for them. They can't compare to the Klipsch 2.1's, but theyre more than 5 times more expensive.

I would reccomend them to you, poert, if want 2.1.

Me too phant. I'm a closet audiophile :D

I am not sure what I want.........That is the thing. I really don't want to spend a lot of money for them, but something fairly nice would help I suppose. 2.1 means 2 speakers and a sub right? See I don't even know about them.:(

Yea, 2.1 - 2 speakers and sub, 4.1 - 4 speakers and 1 sub, etc.

Read some reviews for 2.1 speakers poertner...if that's what you want. I'm still reccomending the Logitech ones.

How is $25 alot of money? :stickout: For speakers, I mean. I'm about to shell out $150...

Poertner, once you get a good set of PC speakers, you'll will probably end up next time wanting to shell more for the speakers! For my next rig, I'm willing to pay S$478(US$260) for the speakers even they are expensive but hey the price is still worthwhile. These babies are for my game room.

I would also recommend those logitech speakers, but I am a creative man at the moment with FPS1600s and a SBLive 5:1.

My new rig is having an Audigy2 and some Creative 6:1s though.

Originally posted by young&wild
Poertner, once you get a good set of PC speakers, you'll will probably end up next time wanting to shell more for the speakers! For my next rig, I'm willing to pay S$478(US$260) for the speakers even they are expensive but hey the price is still worthwhile. These babies are for my game room.

Oh I couldn't agree more. There are of course people who spend silly money but you should try for the best you can within the bounds of reason. What's the point in having this *** kicking sound card when you have it plugged into these set of crappy speakers? I hate the tinny sound and the lack of base.

One of the best things I did was forget all about PC hi-fi and get a good surround system system from a hi-fi store with surround speakers and amplifier for my home system. That's how DVDs are meant to be watched.

However This is a kind of moot point, since Rick specifies that he is on a budget. I am afraid then I can't really comment on that because I wouldn't touch budget speakers with a barge pole. but needs must as the Devil drives... I would recommend asking for a demo in the shop before you even spend one cent (or penny in my case) since if you are on a budget every penny counts....

I know gettin' a speaker for US$260 is a bit silly for some people I m living in Brunei, things aren't cheap too, so I am gettin my hardware in Singapore.

Any how you need to understand my situation. Good things don't come cheap here. US$260 is cheapest you can find in Singapore (cheapest in the SE Asian region). In Singapore, Klispch are selling for more than S$1000(US$540) a piece.

I m not lucky to be living in the US or UK where i can buy things much more cheaply through door to door shipment. Good Hifi's don't come cheap either and not at this price in this region. I did consider some Home Surround System, but its a bit expensive for a student like me. I firm;y belive that one day PC Hifi will overtake Home Surround Systems. I wouldn't be suprise to hear people feeling that their PC speakers sound better than their US$1000 home receiver!

Hey Rick, maybe you would like to audition theCambridge SoundWorks CSW SoundWorks (lowest price = US$29.95) and some other speakers like the Altec ACS-33. Let your ears decide them, sound is always a subjective issue.

Hehe Phantasm... I know what you mean because I'm used to having my computer hooked through my home stereo system (5.1 / 120w per channel).. I too, enjoy hi-fi as the next guy. Alas, I was not able to take my speakers and reciever with me though, so that is why I'm looking for a temporary sound solution.

When I get the money however, I will definitely buy a nice system again. I'll probably go with home hi-fi rather than PC hi-fi.. It's better in my opinion.

I agree big time. I have decent stereo system, but don't have my floor speakes hooked up to my dekstop as they aren't close to it, and dont' sound as good that far away from the PC. I have been thinking about this solution for me lately, and I decided that I dont' really need them right now, as I will be moving out in a few months and can use my stereo once I move out. Thank you all for you input, and I hope this helped Rick as well.

I'm using a pair of "Trust Headset Multi funktion 410 Bass" headphones in school.

They are quite good, cost me 30$...

Though at home my computer have sound for about 500$, and my car has sound for well over 1000$ so you see I'm a bit "niche" ;)

well after using many differet 2.1 speaker systems, I've gone just with headphones. I got a free pair of DSP-500's (thank god for my counter-strikes team sponsors) and I haven't used a pair of speakers for 6 months. The bass, sound quality is just incredible. You really might wanna just use headphones.

I have a very nice set of studio headphones already, but I want to be free and listen to music.. Watch movies etc..

Well, turns out that I bought the Logitech 340z's like Vehementi suggested (That certainly wasn't the reason though! :p ). After sampling some of speakers on display at Fry's, I think they sounded the best for the money.

So yes, I think they are a good set of speakers for the price range and they sound quite a bit better than the "other" line of Logitech speakers.. No sattelite thrashing at high volumes, doesn't sound "too trebly" and good, deep bass. The subwoofer actually delivers really low tones. It doesn't sound as tight as some of the $150+ setups, but definitely better than the sub $50 speakers I tried.

Glad to be of help Rick. And glad you enjoy the speakers. The new Logitech Z- line is the result of Logitech acquiring Labtec, whatever speaker skill they had...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back