Opinions on my new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoff

New rig

greets ppl...

just got a brand new rig for college. i bought all the stuff and put it together myself, the obvious thing to do. please tell me what you think of it.

AMD Athlon XP 1900+ AGOGA Core w/ Thermaltake Volcano 7+
SOYO KT333 DRAGON Ultra Platinum
Xtreme DDR 512 MB PC-3000 DDR RAM (Dual 256MB Sticks)
Triplex Millenium Silver GeForce4 Ti 4600
Samsung SP8004H 80GB Hard Drive
Maxtor 5T030H3 30GB Hard Drive
Creative SoundBlaster Audigy X-Gamer
Black LiteOn LTR40125 40x12x48x CD-RW Drive
Black Toshiba CD-M1612 16x48x DVD-ROM Drive
Black NEC MultiSync 1550V LCD Display
Logitech Z-560 THX-Certified 4.1 Speaker System
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0
Black Directron SF-201T Aluminum Case w/ 1 top & two side windows
Black Silent TT 350W power supply
Silver Round IDE and floppy cables

tell me what you think.

Originally posted by Cucumber

...i think perhaps the last one:rolleyes:

Indeed. Plenty of clueless newbiez around with killer machines because Mommy and Daddy paid for it.

A true superuser can make use of an ancient computer. They can turn a 486 into a proxy server.... They can push their hardware to its limits....

Much as having a big flashy car does not make you, as a guy, better in bed or stronger physically, so a newer computer does not mean that you have the knowledge to fully exploit it.

And maybe my computer might be older than yours but maybe I get more joy out of using it? Maybe I appreciate my P500 with 128 MB (just example) more than you appreciate your dual Pentium 4 system? Just a thought....

If you are here to brag its fairly pointless because there is ALWAYS someone with something better. I would be much more impressed with what you have managed to make it do.

sorry geez... just wanted to know if i made the right choices... like what you would've bought. oh and btw, i had to save for a pretty long time to buy this stuff so i just think it's a bit rude to say that my parents bought it. i just think you shouldn't make comments that you really can't prove or have no basis. i just thought you people here could give me good feedback as i've been visiting this site for a few years but never really gotten the feel to post on the forums. i just felt i could share my feeling for computer hardware with you. i think maybe the way i phrased my thoughts above wasn't really clear but i just wanted to share with you and for you to share with me because it's hard to find people who know what you're talking about when you mention the words motherboard or geforce.

/me just set fire to psychoff's rig

Uh, you weren't bragging ???

/me hands psychoff a fire extinguisher...

It just might come in handy... :D

Seriously though, it's a very good combo ( allthough I would've gotten a better MB like ABIT or ASUS ).

i agree with didou, if you're going to spend the money on rounded cables, and cases with windows, make sure the computer runs its best. You tell us what u think of it? How does it run? How about an operating system? Windows XP? Linux?

Originally posted by Didou
Seriously though, it's a very good combo ( allthough I would've gotten a better MB like ABIT or ASUS ).

I don't know, that SOYO board is the best they make and supposedly is loaded with extras. Plus it performs well in benchmarks I've seen. Granted it might not have the reputation of Asus or Abit, it still looks to me like a great board.

Only thing I might have changed is gotten a WD Special Edition hard drive. I just picked up a 100GB one with the 8MB buffer and let me tell you it is amazing. I installed XP Pro in about 10 minutes (if that) whereas it took much longer than that with my RAID setup!!! I don't believe my raid setup is optimized, but still I thought it was pretty amazing. Plus, it costs 150 dollars, which isn't too bad I don't think.

I appluad you on the Triplex GFX card. I hear it comes in an awesome silver briefcase and performs well too. Just curious, but how much did it run you?

P.S. I don't think the other members meant to offend you, but we see lots of these kinds of posts that simple have the specs and say hey look how great I am. I think this is how yours looked and why is was taked the way it was. Plus, I know Phantasm66 is well respected and wouldn't intentionally disrespect someone on purpose.

that wd hard drive sounds sweet. i really couldn't get it and i actually had to cut corners on the hard drive and go for the cheap samsung because i was short on cash but still needed the storage. btw i'd like to know if the anyone has had experiences with both the p4 1.6a and the 1900+. i think intel is coming back pretty strong and maybe it would've been better to get one of those overclocker friendly 1.6a's. i'd like to see what someone who is in better position than me thinks about that.

I don't own a P4, but if I were building a new system right now I would get a Pentium 4 instead of an Athlon. The P4's are outperforming the Athlon's right now, at least until the Hammer's come out.

The Northwoods (1.6A's) are very overclockable and would be a good cheap choice if you wanted to tweak and overclock the hell out of it. I've seen overclocks of up to 2.2 or even 2.4 with that CPU, which is pretty incredible.

Keep in mind this is coming from a die hard AMD fan as that is what I have in my rig now, but you have to give it to Intel, until the Hammers come out it looks like they've got the upper edge even with the Thoughbreds coming out soon.

i agree with you on that. so far what i've seen about the thoroughbreds hasn't been good news for amd. i'd certainly like to see what tbred 1800+ and 1700+ procs can do but so far it's a better deal to throw a few $$ less for a 2100+ and overclock it. but of course, we'll have to wait and see what they have up their sleeve with barton. i just hope that amd can have success with hammer because although i really have no determined preference between the two companies i lean a bit towards amd because they offer their products at a fair price. i really think that putting down 500 clams in a 2.53 p4 is a bit over the top.

The only item I notice that may pose a problem oc'ing is the PSU @ 350 watts. Athlons are power hungry & so are the Ti 4600's. So I hear. ;)

Other than that: I think it'll serve you well in college & now you can save for books. :D

Enjoy,

your spec looks good to me....hey..what's all about the black coloured drives. Is your casing black in colour?:D

yeah the case is black... btw if anyone is looking for a triplex card the guys at OCSystem have it, although it is more expensive than any other gf4 card i've seen. they also carry a set of bios overclocked cards. the 4600 runs default at 320/750. it sounds fast but did they mess with memory timings to get it run that fast? just a thought. it's just that i haven't seen anyone even been able to overclock to these levels with any gf4 out there. some have probably done it but it's like 1 in a million. seriously i would recommend the new asus deluxe card. it's what i would've picked up if i would've known about it before i bought mine. i think that newegg has it and it's cheaper than the triplex card and it gives the gainward a run for it's money in both features and performance.

Ack!!!! Don't get it from OCSystem. I had my custom case made there and I'm sure some of you remember how much complaining I did in order to get it - not to mention the fact that they charged me a second charge after I got the case.

Just lookin' out for you guys - do what you want though.

LNCPapa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back