opinions on new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grr_San_jose_Ca

Hey guys i need some help i have built my first computer and would like to know what you guys think about it

1.ePOX mother board 8kda+PRO
2.80 gig hard drive samsung
3.XFX Video card (geforce 6600)
4. 2 sticks of 256 mb of ram
5. AMD athlon 2800 (over clocked to 2.5 ghz)

Well this is my first post hope you guys reply

Edgar

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

You mention you are in need of some help. Are you having problems with your computer? Is there anything we can do for you here?

For the guy who posted if i needed help.

Yes I do have a problem with my usb it wont Recognize my gaming controler and i the motherboard manual tells me to install windows xp service pack 1 or higher and i have service pack 2 thats the only problem it has given me.

Are you able to use any other USB devices on your computer? Is it ONLY the game pad that you can't install?

Yes i can use my mouse but some times it wont move and i used to think it froze but it didnt because when it wont move i push the start button and the computer seems to be still runing (While the mouse is not responding) O and one other thing it seems that my mouse belive it or not gets hot.

Did you install the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

Also, try this as well. Right click on "my computer" then "manage" then "event viewer". Do some poking around in there to try and find some red exclamation marks and see what the errors are saying. Could give you some hints as to what the problems is.

Well my manual told me that the drivers for the usb 2.0 are at microsoft.com
it says that when im instaling SP1 i will get a "Other Driver updates" but ive never gotten that what do you think the next best thing to do would be buying a USB 2.0 card or keep trying?

When you build a new computer one of the things you need to do is install the motherboard drivers (chipset drivers) after you install Windows. Your motherboard should have come with a CD with these drivers (and maybe other things like utilities). Have you installed these drivers yet? This what DonNagual is asking too.

Yes I did unfortunatly thats the only thing thats wrong with it the usb........
if I idid it right I attached something a picture of the usb problem you can see that everything else is fine but the usb has something wrong with it I woulld really apreciate it if you guys can help me fix this

Attachments

• usb.JPG
    usb.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 7
I see what you are saying. Take another look at your motherboard driver CD. The USB controller drivers should be on it. On the PCs I've built that's where they have been. If for some reason you can't find it, you should be able to find it at your motherboard maker's website. It is probably part of a bundle as it is unlikely that you will find the individual controller driver.

alrite i did everything you told me but there was no drivers for the usb in the CD that came with the mobo their webpage told me the same thing that the manual told me to go to microsoft.com and the driver would download automaticly should i just give up and replace the mother board with a diffrent brand or what?

The messages/information you are receiving is simply confusing you.

USB 2.0 is fairly new and therefore not supported by older versions of Windows (98, ME, etc.etc.). Windows XP has native support for USB 2.0 and has since SP1.

Documentation alerting the need to download drivers for USB 2.0 are simply for 98/ME and older Windows versions.

The alerts you are getting about installing SP1 or greater are simply noticing you have Windows XP and not an indication that anything is wrong (i.e. they just check the OS and say "Hey, this is XP.. it only needs SP1 or greater so why is he running me?").

The problems you are having with a game controller and/or mouse could be a number of issues, but I doubt it's the USB drivers. It can be anything from flakey hardware, overcrowding older 1.1 devices with lower power feed, incorrect wiring if it's to an external/back port, BIOS settings or older BIOS, etc.etc.

I'd spend some time in the Device Manager- look at reserved and used power on the USB devices Properties, and possible shuffle things around to different USB hubs. Also, many mainboards have leads on the mainboard for even more external USB ports- if you're not using these, I'd disable them in the BIOS or Windows as well.

Try this. Go to "Windows Update" under "Tools" at the top of your Internet Explorer browser. If you haven't gone to this Microsoft site yet, you should to download all the security updates and all the rest. Windows Update might detect the missing USB controller drivers and offer you a download. It would be under their "Hardware, Optional" category.

Ok i got i done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay i played around with the bios settings thats what it was so now i have one last question should i install Service Pack 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back