Opinions on possible PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noyz3001

Folks,

Very happy to find a place like this. I would greatly recommend any opinions or suggestions regarding my prospective new system. I am an extremely busy filmmaker and my business has exploded over the last 12 months. I have outgrown my 02 Gateway and am looking to custom build my next system.

Here's what I have in mind:

Intel D915PBLL Motherboard and P4 540 3.2Ghz CPU

Ultra 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz Memory (x2)

Maxtor / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-150 / OEM / Hard Drive (x2 for C: & D: drives) *I currently use a Maxtor 200GB external, Seagate 200GB external and an Acomdata 250GB external for video.

PNY Quadro FX 500 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / Video Card

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 OEM Sound Card

SONY DRU720A / 16x8x16x DVD+RW / 16x6x16x DVD-RW / 4x DVD+RW DL / 48x24x40x CD-RW / Internal DVD±RW Burner (E: Drive)

SONY 16x internal DVD+/-R Burner OEM (F: Drive)

Are there any opinions or suggestions about this group of components? Any suggestions for machines that deal strictly with hours of video editing?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
-N

You have selected some very nice components, BUT...

Your chosen motherboard is PCI Express and your chosen card is AGP. These don't match.
Look at nVidia for more details: http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx.html

Also have a look at Plextor's SATA DVD-writers, such as PX-712SA or later.
They go easier on your CPU than Sony's products.
After all that mobo has four SATA-connectors!

Whoa..

I never even considered the whole video card compatibility issue. Thanks! I'm now targeting the eVGA GeForce 6800GT (256MB DDR3; Dual DVI; PCI Express). It's a bit more costly but as long as I stay under $400 for a video card, I'm good. I just want to make sure I'm getting something geared toward what I will be using it for. The Dual DVI is very attractive.

Thanks for the recommendation on the DVD drive as well. I will certianly look into that.

Consider Professional Grade Video Cards.

If you're going to be doing a lot of video/film type work, you may want to consider a professional video card as opposed to a gaming, consumer level card such as the ones discussed in these forums. One difference between these two types of cards is that in games, the accuracy of the pixels, ploygons, etc. is not critical; raw speed is critical - quantity over quality if you will. In contrast, professional grade video cards are designed for pinpoint accuracy, which is critical for such tasks as designing 3D models, CAD drawings, or industrial design.

But then I could be completely off and the gaming cards may be more suitable for film/video work.

I just wanted to make you aware the pro-grade cards alternative was out there.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back