TechSpot

Opteron 165 Overclock

By seanp789
Mar 4, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am very impressed with the opteron 1XX series especially the dualcore models.

If you have excellent cooling and mobo any of the 165+ series can reach 3Ghz.

Typically you will see you best results in the 2.5Ghz to 2.7Ghz range @ 1.34 or 1.4 Vcore. Increase Vcore to 1.5+ and you will be able get 2.8Ghz+. I recommend keeping Vcore below 1.45V for longterm use but it will certainly run error free at 1.6V if you can keep the heat down.

If you are thinking about getting a 170 over a 165, its max overclock potential is actually the same. The main difference is that it has a 10x multiplier vs a 9x mulitplier so you will not have to raise your FSB as high to reach the same speeds. If you do not have a overclocker friendly mobo then you will achieve better results overall with the opteron 170. Anything beyond that and it will be cheap to buy a better mobo than buy a better cpu.

I can run 2.5Ghz at stock voltage or 2.86Ghz at 1.5v
    Its too bad they wont be making these anymore.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.