Optical drives don't read data discs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

Hello all,
A friend has an older HP desktop that quit reading data CDs. It has a CD burner and a DVD reader. Both are on the secondary IDE channel, configured as cable select. Both are recognized by XP pro; both realize that a disc has been inserted. When I try to explore the DVD reader, it sez 'please insert disc'. The DVD reader will play an audio CD. The CD burner doesn't return an error when I try to explore a data disc--it doesn't do anything.
What I've tried: replacing the IDE cable--no change. Switching both from cable select to master/slave--no change. Putting one at a time on the primary IDE channel with the hard drive with both set to cable select--no change. I tried both in a spare computer--they work perfectly. I put a spare CD drive in the friend's HP--won't read a data disc.
Unless one or more of you have suggestions, I'm about ready to try to repair XP.

Found the problem.

First I had to replace the power supply (not related to the drive problem). I tried the suggestions without success. I finally found with a little help from Black Viper that the Removable Storage service wasn't starting. Changing the setting from the default Manual to Automatic solved the problem.

Removable Storage
Used for managing removable media. Disable this service if you do not have items like tape backup devices, etc. If your CD ROM / DVD drive starts acting funny, (no auto play, etc) place this service into automatic. Normally, this service does not need to be running and you will not miss any of its functionality.

Mine is Disabled, and I have full functionality

I've spent years on Services and started with Black Viper, a long time ago, when he was on his first Server (which later went down)

Removable Storage
Used for managing removable media. Disable this service if you do not have items like tape backup devices, etc. If your CD ROM / DVD drive starts acting funny, (no auto play, etc) place this service into automatic. Normally, this service does not need to be running and you will not miss any of its functionality.
That's the description that got me going....
Mine is Disabled, and I have full functionality
Interesting... On this XPSP3 computer it's manual and the drive works. My friend's drives worked for years. I'm thinking SP3 broke them, but I don't know how.

I've spent years on Services and started with Black Viper, a long time ago, when he was on his first Server (which later went down)
Outstanding! More folks than I were seriously worried when his first server went down. If you haven't noticed, his Services descriptions are linked all over the web now.
Cheers,

just fyi...i think the applications you use (e.g. for backups) can influence the Startup Type setting needed (particularly if can be disabled or not)

Another, Start->Run-> Services.msc

Shell Hardware Detection
Used for the auto play of devices like memory cards, CD drives, etc. Also, set to automatic if you are experiencing problems with laptop docking stations. In 'My Computer,' you may not see your hardware (example: DVD drive) displayed as a 'DVD Drive' if this service is disabled. However, all functionality still exists. In addition, when checking the properties of an auto play device, such as a DVD drive, you will not have an auto play tab displayed or available. This service also allows the option of selecting what action you wish to take with a particular type of file. If you enjoy the auto play function of CD's and DVD's after inserting them into your drive, leave this service on automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back