Optical usb mouse trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madder

My mouse keeps stopping. I get a message saying a USB device has malfunctioned. It's my mouse and it keeps happening. I tried a second optical usb mouse and that too malfunctioned? Anyone know what might be causing this?

Either a problem with the port where you connect your mouse or the USB drivers.
Try another port if you have not already done so and reboot.
Unplug all other USB devices and reboot to see if there is interference.
If not that, connect a PS/2 mouse if you have one and reboot. Go to Control Panel > System > Device manager > Hard ware and remove all the USB devices listed. You can do this without a mouse using the tab key to shift across items and spacebar to select.
Reboot and windows will put back the USB drivers.
Let us know?

Tried uninstalling all the usb devices and then allowing windows to reinstall them. Can't find the disk for my printer now though, so that's down for the moment!!

But worst of all I still have the same problem with the mouse. It just keep jumping in and out. Every couple of seconds. Then sometimes it works for a minute or 2 and then back to jumping in and out. USB malfunction is the message and click here for what to do, only I can't cos the mouse won't let me as it's the mouse that is failing.Everything else works fine.

Next time, hit Alt + Tab and you should be able to (holding Alt down) tab to the error message?
Can you get your hands on an old PS/2 mouse and run them both at the same time??

Albert, you've been a great help. It's weird but yesterday I tried a different optical mouse and could have sworn the same problems were being experienced. Today I tried the dodgy mouse on my laptop and it gave the same problem as on the desktop. So I tried the alternative optical mouse on my desktop, and it appears now to be working fine! Thanks for your help,

Gav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back