Optimized Defaults in Bios (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnsey

My friend chose optimized defaults in his bios and now his pc wont start up. He would like to know what he should do. Would it be best just taking the battery out of his computer and then putting it back in?

Resetting the CMOS is probably the best (and only) thing to do here. Taking out the battery will do it, or you can put a jumper on the the "clear CMOS" header on the board.

Try choosing 'safe' defaults in the bios. If he can't get into the bios then reset the CMOS as Rick suggests.

barnsey: Can you please update your profile with your system specs, as then we should be able to help you better in your future posts. Thanks.

You also may wish to introduce yourself and tell a little about your interests, hobbies, likes/dislikes, etc. Here's the link ...

Introduce yourself

No probs. I had a feeling you and 'barnsey' were pretty close :=).

Your warranty should be fine as loading optimised defaults cannot damage your system. I've never known a system yet that couldn't handle these settings as they are not really as optimised as you might think.

Removing the battery will simply set everything back to safe defaults setting, which normaly means that things will be a little slower than they should be.

You could try going through the best settings manually, but that would require several pages to help you out here and really, if you don't know enough to be messing with bios settings then its probably wiser to leave things as they are until you have some more experience under your belt. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

Take a read at your mainboard manual as that is a good place to start in getting familiar with the various bios options. Have fun.

there's a jumper on the board itself

just pull it, and re-insert.........get into the bios and do not take that option

Originally posted by cyberstrider
I think you guys think im actually Barnesy, well im not, he lives down the road form me and is a good friend of mine.
Goodness, you mean you actually have friends? :confused:

Besides, so long as you can respect others on these boards then it doesn't really matter what you call yourself. It takes a brave man to apologise, so I'm not counting on you to do that, but you'll never get any real respect here if you don't. Hope you get your comp fixed. :)

Originally posted by cyberstrider
So you guys think picking optimized defaults is ok, but ticking top performance is a no-go?
Yes, optimised defaults should be ok. There are really only a few settings that don't really get 'optimised', but those depend on your specific hardware. I wasn't aware of any 'top performance' settings, but then again I don't have an Intel based system.

Oh, and that's the last helpful response you'll get until you apologise to all those you have offended and abused. Your choice.

gigabyte boards do include the "top performance" setting in their Bios. whther they are intel or via based boards. trying to set it to "top performance" usually results in exactly what strider describes. I dont think it can be set to "top performance" unless you are running some premium memory that is cas 2.

What it really comes down to is your memory. "Optimized settings" usually boosts memory performance and as we all know, memory can be a picky thing.

If you are overclocking in conjunction with using optimized settings, then this is a very likely cause. Otherwise, your memory is probably not spectacular and cannot handle the reduce timings.

My memory is 512 ddr400 i think it can handle most things.

btw im barnesy's friend and the one with the problem

on what motherboard

with what cas settings?.........what's it's nanosecond timings?............are they paired in dual channel?..........what's your system specs?

just because it is ddr400 does not mean it can take agressive timings. and the fact that 400ddr still does not have an offical standard would indicate that "top performnce" settings should not be used with it.

my system specs are

120hd
gigabyte 8sg-800
geforce fx 5200
512 ddr 400
XP Home
AC 97

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back