Optimum Temperture

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy266

Is there an optimum temp range for the cpu and case temps? Ive noticed when it gets really hot its sluggish, and when it gets really cold (CPU 20 Case 12) its also sluggish.

when its cold its sluggish, ive never heard that before but anywhere in the 30's C is pretty good but top end sytems are in the high 40's

Well yah thats what i thought to, but currently im taken mechanical engineering 1st year and i have to take a course on electric circuits. Basically the resistance changes with temperture which is ouvious, colder means less resistance and hotter means more, and i think thats one reason why computer runs slower at high temps. If a cpu was designed to run at lets say 100C it would run perfectly fine at that temperture, because the resistances would be right in range of providing optimal performance. But that much heat would lower the life of the cpu greatly. I guess when engineers decide what the optium temp is going to be, they assume normal room temp and equate that into it. A PC could also be designed to run perfect in cold temps lets say -10C, but than at those low temps the transistors would have to work alot harder most likely reducing there life.
Kind of like a car i guess there most efficient on gas and performance when the coolant is a certain temp (75C-105C)?

Thats my theory/ assumtion from what results i got with testing it at various ranges
ive cranked the heat in my room to max and left it for a good 2 hours or so, until the entire room was at a high temp, than i stopped the cpu fan with speedfan and used a hair dryer to provide even more heat and yah almost no responce when the cpu is at 80C, just a quick test got the temp up really quickly and dropped it back down really quickly, opened the window to an outside temp of -15C and ran the cpu fan at max along with 4 case fans and a big external fan blowing into the cpu as well. Cause sustained high temps will really shorten the life of a cpu greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back