OQO First to Ship 1.6 GHz VIA C7-M ULV Processor in model 02 product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
VIDEO AVAILABLE AT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFG_Z82znUQ

Taipei, Taiwan, 10 September 2007 – VIA Technologies, Inc, a leading innovator and developer of silicon chip technologies and PC platform solutions, today announced that OQO Inc. is the first manufacturer to ship the 1.6GHz VIA C7-M ULV processor in the latest configurations of its award-winning model 02 product line.

The higher-speed processor in this update of the OQO model 02 – the world’s smallest full-featured Windows Vista® PC – further increases the device’s performance and thus enables mobile professionals to enhance their anytime/anywhere productivity.

In addition to a faster processor, the OQO model 02 update now also features configurations with options such as support for the super fast “EVDO Rev. A” high-speed wireless transmission standard, which delivers data rates of up to 1.4Mbps, improved upstream speed and lower latency. The update also offers enhanced storage capacity of up to 120GB, and an SSD (solid state drive) option is also available.

What is the performance like on these processors? I did a breif google search and didn't come up with much. But I'd like to see how a 1.6Ghz VIA compares to something like a 1.6 AthlonXP, or a Pentium 4.

The oqo is quite a neat gadget. I'd love to have one, but...the price :(
If they could only pop in a core 2 ULV :grinthumb
I certainly would not order an oqo with vista, considering it's hardware. I think it'd run xp very well though.

Julio said:
Most likely the C7 lags quite behind in terms of performance, but it has been designed from the ground up to save power and generate little heat.
Thats too bad though. You can run everything except modern games just fine with Windows 2000 or Windows XP on a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP system. There may be enough energy conservationists out there to buy a PC just because the whole machine (minus the monitor) uses 15W of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back