TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Order of files and folders in save as

By gbhall
Feb 20, 2009
  1. In XP pro, what controls the default order of files and folders in the pop-up selections such as 'save as' or file 'open' in most applications ?

2. JellyBrain

JellyBrain TS Rookie Posts: 21

You can always change the order by right-clicking in that area and choosing the order. But, where are the defaults adjusted, i would also like to know :)
    The same about thumbnail\list\etc. view of such pop-up windows

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,562   +655

in the explorer view of the folder, clicking on the column heading will sort that column Assending; click again and it will be Descending

4. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,425   +77

Of course I know that, what I want is the default order to be settable. Also I am not talking about Windows Explorer. This is file-open or save-as.

I am sick and tired of having to reset first the type of display to 'detail', then scroll the order of fields, to bring the one I want into view, then clicking the column header twice, because the first click gives me the inverse of the order I want. I scream.....this problem has never been addressed ever since Win95.

I well remember complaining to a developer about this years ago, only to be told this is a MS general file-open utility and "we have no control over it's methods". Only too true.

What is set in windows explorer seems totally unrelated to what happens in the file-open or file-save as dialogues

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,562   +655

on any folder, use the Tools->Folder Options
    Click the View Tab
    Scroll the list for Remember each folder's view settings (~15th in the list)
    [x] the box​
    Click Apply at the bottom to save the settings

If you do this for My Documents\ then you can click the Apply to All Folders
    and anytime you change a Fold View setting on ANY folder, it will be remembered.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.