Ordering this system; Please advise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noyz3001

After much research and advice, I am officially about to order the following components to build my new editing PC for Pinnalce LE. Can anyone offer their opinion on this collection?

Aspire X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BK/450 Black Mid Case w/450W PS 90.00
Enermax 600W Power Supply (24 pin, Dual PCIe, SATA ready) 159.99
ASUS P5AD2-E Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 925XE Mobo 212.00
Intel Premium 4 550 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 3.4GHz Processor 269.99
Kingston 2048MB PC4200 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 Memory (2 x 1024) 214.99
Maxtor 250GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-150 Hard Drive x 4 109.99
Sony DRU800A DL +/- Writer 79.99
(second DL writer, already own)
Connect 3D Radeon X850XT P 256MB GDDR3/PCIe/Dual DVI Video Card 349.99
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card 93.00
Best Data 56K Internal PCI Data Fax Modem 8.99
Logitech LX500 Cordless Keyboard and Optical Mouse Combo 59.99
Logitech X530 70-Watt PC Multimedia Home Theater Speakers 54.99

Ordering through Newegg and Tigerdirect. Please advise!

I'll bet that will scream!
Do you have to pay for the PSU in the Case? Bit of a waste since your getting the Enermax(Good choice though)

Glad to see the system is getting some positive feedback. Appreciate it.

Yeah, the case comes with a power supply but A.) I'm sure it's a cheap one and B.) I'd feel more comfortable with a 600w unit by a good name brand. Two PSUs have blown out on my in the last year and it's just terrible on the business. But I wanted this specific case because of it's looks and size (7 internal 3.5 bays).

You chose Intel, BOOOOO :stickout:

Also, do you really need a 600W power supply? Some servers don't even need that much.

Other than that, DAYUM!!!. That's one fast machine! :approve:

Why are you getting a 5xx series p4? The 6xx ones have 64bit capability and more cache, IIRC, and don't cost much more, or you could upgrade to a 8xx series, and have dual core. I don't know though, I'm an athlon 64 guy myself.

Vnf4ultra...

Funny you mentioned that... I just switched from the 550 to the 650 with 64 bit support. It was only $10 more. I think I just hadn't noticed it before.

I should have my $5k deposit on the film I'm working on by Friday so I hope to have this system up and running within a week or so.

Flashmonkey...

I looked over a lot of info about Intel vs. AMD and overall I just trust Intel more. Also, I'm recently finding that Intel is the favorite among film production while AMD is more popular among gamers.

Do I NEED a 600w? Probably not. But with all the demand this system will have, I wanted more than enough. I've had to power supplies go out on my in the past and I don't want that again. If I get what I pay for, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the feedback!

Noyz3001 said:
Intel is the favorite among film production while AMD is more popular among gamers.

Your choice in intel was right. WHile they are not gaming kings, there performance in editiing applications is unbeatible. (why the links are in the last post are there im not sure) Also, you choice in the 6xx series was a good one. Not only are they 64 bit and all that, but i have found that they run alot cooler.

Good Luck

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
PanicX, did you not even bother to think about the desirered use from this PC? He is in video editing, and even the most die-hard AMD fans will admit that is one appliaction that Intel will win (think clock speed). No, instead you provide links to help your Anti-Intel movement. I respect you, but please dont bring favorites into this one.

well, to be honest about it, if the user wants video editing then he should most likely just buy a G5 Mac, because a dual 2.7ghz G5 will probably wipe the floor of that Intel. (cost a bit more, though! :giddy: )

i'd agree that the Intel will out perform most AMD's in video editing, but the AMD is a better 'all-around' processor IMHO

EDIT

woops! looks like they edits their posts during my reply! :D

actually scooter i changed my post before you quoted me lol (check the times :giddy: )

I thought i was a bit to rash, and didnt want to start a flame war, (but im always up for one)

I don't blame you on the power supply "overkill." I replaced the PSU that came with my case right off the bat for a better unit too.

Check ZipZoomFly.com for price comparisons, including shipping, on major parts. I use them and Newegg for most of my component purchases. Newegg ships much faster, however, if that is a consideration.

wait..your showing a AMD 4000+ whoop a intel 3.6....

Lets be fair here, AMD put the 4000+ for a reason....it is to be estimated to rival the speed of a intel 4.0! find a bench with a 3600+ and a 3.6, and i will be satisfied. Or find a bench with a 670 vs the 4000. This is a flame war indeed.... :approve:

Sean

The article includes a comparison of the Pentium 4 D 840 (best Intel chip out besides the Extreme Edition) against the AMD Athlon64 X2 4800+, and clearly shows the AMD more than holding its own against Intel. The arguement here would be that if I wanted to make the best video editing system today, AMD could possibly fill that role (given I can't find a review of the P4 D EE).

As far as a budget video editing system based on processors in the $300 range, then I would concede that Intel would build a faster box. I base this opinion on another review from Tom's Hardware.

That being said, Noyz3001, please ignore my "trust" comment as it was meant nothing more than joke, a sort of play on words. As far as the system you have spec'd out, I believe you'd be more than satisfied. I would recommend however that you try a setup with those 4 SATA drives on the extended controller in a RAID 5 setup, as this provides good performance plus fault tolerance with a small foot print. If you don't care for fault tolerance, then never mind.

Thanks for all the banter, folks. I appreciate all opinions and suggestions.

The Intel vs. AMD clash is always hilarious. People swear by one or the other.

I found some Ultra DDR2 dual channel memory with the same specs as the Kingston I listed, but $10 cheaper. Anyone lean toward one brand or the other?

I would go with the kingston, but if you had a link to each it would be easier to tell. I really think ddr2 is a joke, (high latency no real performance increase) and is not worth the price increase, but in this case, if it is cheaper i think it might be a good idea. (links would help tho)

Sean

I'd go with name brand RAM unless the other one that has the same specs for the cheaper RAM has some amazing return policy or warranty/garuntee that says it will outperform or last longer or something.

As for the DDR2 statement above, he's right:

Application Benchmarks
Gaming Benchmarks

Buying DDR2 is a good way to stay future proof (but then why would you buy Intel if you want to be future proof?) but right now there isn't too much of an increase in performance. We'll have to wait some time, just like we did for the SD RAM to DDR RAM switch.

You should check what George Lucas used for Starwars, nothing but AMD64!
Now if anyone knows about moviemaking, I think it's him!
Out with Intel!
My 0.02 ct.

See PCAnswers September/2005 issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back