Origin announces phase change cooling for Genesis desktop

Jos

Staff

High-end gaming computers are usually underrepresented at CES but Origin PC has stepped into the plate with a revised version of its Genesis desktop, which now supports overclocking to a record 5.7GHz, as well as redesigned Eon notebooks for mobile gamers.

The company has been selling Genesis desktops factory-overclocked to 5.2GHz for a few months already, but starting later this month, customers will be able to push frequencies even higher thanks to a new 'Phase Change' cooling system option. According to Origin, phase change technologgy will enable the machines' processor to be cooled at sub-zero temperatures, as low as -40 degrees celsius.

origin introduces 7ghz desktop notebooks

According to Cnet, phase change cooling works somewhat like an air conditioner, compressing gas (or a mixture of gasses), which progresses through a cycle of liquefying and evaporation as it absorbs heat from the CPU more effectively than simple air-cooling or even typical liquid cooling hardware.

Origin PC has yet to reveal pricing details for the new cooling option but you can bet it won't come in cheap. The base Genesis model starts at $1,337 but climbs up real fast as you start adding options.

The company also revealed the new 15- and 17-inch Eon gaming notebooks, which tweak the generic-looking shell from Clevo that most custom PC builders use to include a slightly more stylish outer lid with angular cutouts. Otherwise the laptops have essentially the same components and configuration options they've been offering for the past few months. Origin's 15- and 17-inch Eon laptops start at around $1,500.

origin introduces 7ghz desktop notebooks

Beyond the new product announcements, Origin said that going forward, every customer will receive free U.S.-based 24-7 technical support for life. Free shipping and part replacement is still only one year, but labor for upgrades is part of the lifetime support package.

Permalink to story.

I'm glad to see the guys that founded Alienware are back at it again. Before Dell took them over they were the tits. I've still got my old og Alienware system from back in the day.

P.S. I know Origin has been around for a couple years, but rarely see any news about them.

And what happens when the factory overclock stops working and tweaks need to be made to the BIOS/overclock settings?
Send it back in for them to tweak it so 4 months later it does the same thing?

I own a 2600K, 720 X3 and i7 930 and I've been overclocking for 12 years, it used to be a challenge.
It's much easier today and an average illterate can overclock now but some tuning is usually needed.
No chip/settings are guaranteed. Ever.

And what happens when the factory overclock stops working and tweaks need to be made to the BIOS/overclock settings?
From the article:
going forward, every customer will receive free U.S.-based 24-7 technical support for life
Send it back in for them to tweak it so 4 months later it does the same thing?
Unless the hardware is broken it would be reasonable to assume that their techs would walk a person through any stability problems. If you're building an overclocked system for sale (and I've done a few hundred) you make sure the voltages are high enough to maintain the OC for a reasonable time. You also explain to the customer about maintenance. OC's fail more often than not because of allowing dust buildup over components (esp cooling), component creep and a failing PSU.
It might also be reasonable to assume that the person buying a phase-change cooled PC (or high end water) might not be a complete tech noobie.
No chip/settings are guaranteed. Ever.
Nope. But I'd say that the percentage of builds I put together that require resetting voltages are in the 1-2% range...and I don't have the luxury of being able to discard and replace (enthusiast/performance) parts from a well supplied stockroom. The "failure" rate is probably a lot lower than any OEM's generic offerings.

Unless the hardware is broken it would be reasonable to assume that their techs would walk a person through any stability problems.
If only it was that simple.

If you're building an overclocked system for sale (and I've done a few hundred) you make sure the voltages are high enough to maintain the OC for a reasonable time.
Too much voltage, even a tiny bit more to "make sure" is a terrible idea no tech would advise. It can cause certain parts to run hotter then they should, caps to swell/break and shorten the life of components, if not damage them. Proper voltage must be maintained and regulated for healthy and solid overclocks.

And you don't sound like you've built many PC's.
And don't confuse build with tune/setup.
Anyone can put together a PC. Not shooting anyone down, just saying.

dividebyzero said:
OC's fail more often than not because of allowing dust buildup over components (esp cooling)
These issues have NOTHING to do with overclocking/tuning an overclock.

dividebyzero said:
component creep and a failing PSU.

amstech, you really are playing with fire there, and to be honest, you kinda sound dumb in your arguement back. Yes, parts may run hotter than they should, but if they are designed to be at a higher temp than a "normal" setup then it makes no odds, and in this particular case, i doubt Origin have skimpt on the Motherboard.

Too much voltage, even a tiny bit more to "make sure" is a terrible idea no tech would advise.
Overclocking requires no overvolting. Wow, what a concept.
It can cause certain parts to run hotter then they should
It's about time that hardware companies started looking into this phenomena don't you think. Do you think that's why Origin are using phase change rather than a stock cooler ?
caps to swell/break
EVERY X79 board built is using solid capacitors...solid caps don't "swell", and the only breakage issues I've ever seen with modern VRM's is some isolated rust issues with solid chokes on older X58/P55 boards.
Proper voltage must be maintained and regulated for healthy and solid overclocks.
Yeah , thanks for the info. The art of overclocking is getting the greatest amount of performance out of the lowest possible bump in input power. Maybe you're confusing "make sure the voltages are high enough to maintain the OC" with "just force a sh*tload of voltage into it and hope for the best"
And you don't sound like you've built many PC's.
Only a few hundred
And don't confuse build with tune/setup.
Pretentious much?
Anyone can put together a PC.
You seem to be living proof.
an average illterate can overclock now but some tuning is usually needed.
Q.E.D. (BTW the word is illiterate, not illterate) , Ah, but can an average illerate work out HTML tags ? ( I'm noting the way you've attributed my comments as your own in post #6) ;)
Not shooting anyone down, just saying.
Not shooting anyone down ? Except for taking pot shots you mean ? or is there some confusion due to the semi-lterate nature of your posting?
Degrading cooling ability has nothing to do with maintaining an overclock? So a dust clogged radiator/TEC heat exchanger will still effectively cool an overclocked part ? A ageing PSU losing it's efficiency can still power any overclock it could maintain when new?, an "average illterate" knows instinctively that the reboot loop/BSoD they've just undergone can be narrowed down to one cause ?

@Burty117
No skimping. If you check the second photo >>here<< you'll notice that the board in an Asus Rampage IV Extreme with EK waterblocks over the MOSFETS and chipset as well as the phase change CPU cooling.

dividebyzero said:
@Burty117
No skimping. If you check the second photo >>here<< you'll notice that the board in an Asus Rampage IV Extreme with EK waterblocks over the MOSFETS and chipset as well as the phase change CPU cooling.

wow, they really have gone all out on this one haven't they?
I don't think Heat is going to be too much of a problem somehow in this case :)

Lol at dividebyzero.
Go get'em champ!

trillionsin said:
nobody posted about its starting price? 1,337
The the price isn't crazy ridiculous for once.
Surprising.

burty117 said:
amstech, you really are playing with fire there, and to be honest, you kinda sound dumb in your arguement back. Yes, parts may run hotter than they should, .
Caps made to handle higher amount of voltage can still be over-volted.

If i sound dumb what does that make you look like?
And its "argument", not "arguement".

Caps made to handle higher amount of voltage can still be over-volted.
And? *blank stare*

If i sound dumb what does that make you look like?
The "If" is redundant.
Burty117's reasoning is sound, even if his grammar isn't 100%. 1-of-2 beats your 0-of-2. I'd say Burty's well ahead on points.

I'm not sure retreating into semi-illterate grammar nazi mode, because your OTT and poorly executed commentary proved to be as viable as a cardboard submarine makes that much sense tbh.
amstech said:
trillionsin said:
nobody posted about its starting price? 1,337
The the price isn't crazy ridiculous for once.
Surprising.
I think trillionsin was referring to the "leet-speak" 1337 tag. The $1337 is for the entry level air-cooled version.

EDIT: And to the post below...
You spelled illiterate wrong again
Note the italics...Note the use of italics in the variations of the word illiterate....Note the use of italics and the deliberate misspelling of the word illiterate in use after your illterate post....Note the concept of the "running gag" passing way above your head

You spelled illiterate wrong again, your not nearly as tech savy as you think, you don't overvolt anything I don't care what cooling/tech the board has. You comment on sites to make it sound like your really intelligent and its funny as hell. Your an average techie at best.
Please stop.

Amstech, you're really just insulting yourself, and degrading you're own intelligence now. I'd concede if I were you.

I think this thread has had enough personal comments. Any more posts containing personal comments could disappear in their entirety. Thanks for your cooperation.

Back