Origin Game Time lets you play 'Titanfall' for free this weekend

Shawn Knight

Staff member

play titanfall

Electronic Arts on Friday announced a new program called Origin Game Time that’ll let you play full games free of charge for a certain amount of time. It kicks off this weekend with Respawn’s shooter Titanfall, a game that’ll be free to play for two solid days. It sure beats a game demo, no?

Titanfall will show up on the Free Games page in Origin – simply download and get to playing. The countdown clock will begin the moment you start the game for the first time, ticking down in real-time regardless of whether you’re actively playing or not. You’ll have a full 48 hours with Titanfall so use it wisely.

Once the timer expires, you’ll have to option to purchase the full game and pick up the action right where you left off. If it’s not for you, no worries – simply carry on as usual.

Titanfall is just the first of what’s likely to be a long list of Game Time titles in the coming weeks, months and –  if successful – years. EA points out that each Game Time will be unique: a different game, a different amount of time on the clock and so on.

It certainly seems like a cool idea but whether or not it actually works out that way remains to be seen. By that, I mean, what sort of impact will the sudden flood of new gamers have on the servers? And what’s more, is the influx of new gamers going to spoil the fun for seasoned veterans?

Permalink to story.

Members TomSEA and fimbles were ahead of the curve on this item. They both posted this in the regular forums. :)

1MB/s would take for me 14 hours straight to download, full speed no internet browsing, so no point in playing for a couple of hours.

I'm surprised they didn't launch with this. Perhaps someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought MS had a program in Live similar to Sony's PS+, where full versions of new titles could be played for 12-24hrs before being locked, pending purchase?

Titanfall was underwhelming to me. it started out mad fun but the unlocks are rather boring (I havent used a gun thats significantly different or more fun than the starting AR, and the sniper has some wierd hit detection problems for me) and thus the replay value is very low to me. Plus it has that star wars battlefront thing where you massacre dozens of crappy AI and thus it doesnt feel satisfying;player vs player doest happen enough, and when it does, its usually killing someone whos too busy massacring AI to be aware of your presence. Titans aren't all that fun to me either...its mostly spray and pray IMO.

Titanfall was underwhelming to me. it started out mad fun but the unlocks are rather boring (I havent used a gun thats significantly different or more fun than the starting AR, and the sniper has some wierd hit detection problems for me) and thus the replay value is very low to me. Plus it has that star wars battlefront thing where you massacre dozens of crappy AI and thus it doesnt feel satisfying;player vs player doest happen enough, and when it does, its usually killing someone whos too busy massacring AI to be aware of your presence. Titans aren't all that fun to me either...its mostly spray and pray IMO.

I feel you bro, I played the BETA and within less than 1 hour I got bored, now that I play the full game with all maps and everything I still find it boring. I've never killed so few players in a complete match of any FPS before; even the top players don't kill an impressive number of players at all. Worst of all is when a team gets the upper hand with 3 titans killing quickly any titan called by the opposite team and thus controlling the rest of the match.

"I've never killed so few players in a FPS before."

Maybe you're just not that good at it? I routinely see players get 15-20 kills per session. For a 6 on 6 setup where each session lasts maybe 15 minutes, that's a lot of kills.

I think it's a hella fun game. The maps along with the parkour style, multiple configurations and customizations along with the Titans provide seemingly unending battle setups. No fight is ever the same unless you're one of those that does zero running around, parks themselves in a room or rooftop and just waits for the occasional ambush opportunity. If that's your game style, then yeah - it would be boring along with any other FPS played that way.

Maybe you're just not that good at it? I routinely see players get 15-20 kills per session. For a 6 on 6 setup where each session lasts maybe 15 minutes, that's a lot of kills.

I think it's a hella fun game. The maps along with the parkour style, multiple configurations and customizations along with the Titans provide seemingly unending battle setups. No fight is ever the same unless you're one of those that does zero running around, parks themselves in a room or rooftop and just waits for the occasional ambush opportunity. If that's your game style, then yeah - it would be boring along with any other FPS played that way.
thats funny. I never see people get more than 8 kills. And the playstyle you described is how EVERYONE seems to play....
also I dont think its skill related as im routinely in the top 3 of the match. Maybe everyone else is just terrible- either way, player interaction outside of blindfiring giant robots doesnt happen enough for me.

Maybe you've played it a long time and you've been able to see that many kills. I played it two afternoons during BETA and all that excitemente (parkour, mechs) wore off rapidly and barely sometime yesterday's night, the most I've seen from the tops have been 13 -and that's few to me. To put it in perspective, in Crysis 2 with 8 vs 8 I kill at least 20, with an average above 27 kills per match and my personal record being 42 kills in 15 minutes (team deathmatch).

And I don't stay in one place or anything coward of that sort; I play the map, with some caution of course, and finding people takes an eternity, bots are not challenging at all so I don't even care. My whole experience is based in a couple of hours (about 9 in BETA, two hours starting from level 1 in this chance to play for free).

I can totally see and understand why you enjoy it, but to me it was a disapointing experience then and now. It is not so pleasant for newcomers because the ones that dedicate a lot of hours have a lot of advantages that aren't merely skills. In Crysis 2 and Battlefield give me a brand new profile and I will play evenly against max-ranked players only because of skills -in Crysis 2 you can reboot your online profile and beat the other lvl 50 guys with all the possible advantages of weapons and modules, with you being a lvl 5 with only the most basic classes, modules and weapons available.

Here in Titanfall I get easily squashed by far advanced burn-in cards and weaponry from the opponents, still give a fight but at the end the dividends aren't that exciting to me (having killed 6-8 enemy players); and it may be my lack of mastering the game but I don't feel more powerful when using the titan.

My brother-in-law has this. Could I take his disc, load it up on my PC, then start my free trial? I'm with what the first guest said about the long download time.

I must concur with EEatGDL and ikesmasher. The game starts off great, all that moving around feels refreshing at first, but half hour in and everything is so dull and boring I can barely focus to keep up with the action. First match, I got in with 10 more players who got the free version, half of them got out saying outright that it sucks. I kept going only to find parkour is actually more fun than any fighting, mech or pilot.
When that was over so did my patience. To each their own I guess, IMHO it just lacks a certain spark.

I am also from the camp that feels the game was novel to begin with but grew old real fast.

The grunts or whatever they are (AI) are the worst, they should not be included. There should be more players allowed in each game.

The graphics also suck and I know that graphics don’t make for better gameplay but they would help make the game a little more exciting in my opinion.

My brother-in-law has this. Could I take his disc, load it up on my PC, then start my free trial? I'm with what the first guest said about the long download time.

I would say that would work fine, My son plays on his account on my titanfall install with no issues.

more likely to be true.

blizzard already allows installation of starcraft 2 and diablo 3 without cd key. input of cd key via battlenet account unlocks the whole game.
maybe other game developers/platforms would allow this kind of setting. no cd key for trial, free weekend play.

it is a good thing that game play is no longer machine-bound (at least for blizzard and steam) but is now account-bound. user can buy/install games at an old machine. with verification, user can play it with less hassle at any other machine.

kudos to blizzard, steam, and ea origin.
(I hope ea origin would start the free 48 hours after installation of titanfall. I can dream, can I? :) )

I've never been very fond of shooters, and when I play, I usually suck. Decided to try this Titanfall...
And oh god, here I kick all kinds of ***, love the game!
(I hope ea origin would start the free 48 hours after installation of titanfall. I can dream, can I? :) )
I'm pretty sure that's the case

Last edited:

Maybe you've played it a long time and you've been able to see that many kills. I played it two afternoons during BETA and all that excitemente (parkour, mechs) wore off rapidly and barely sometime yesterday's night, the most I've seen from the tops have been 13 -and that's few to me. To put it in perspective, in Crysis 2 with 8 vs 8 I kill at least 20, with an average above 27 kills per match and my personal record being 42 kills in 15 minutes (team deathmatch).

And I don't stay in one place or anything coward of that sort; I play the map, with some caution of course, and finding people takes an eternity, bots are not challenging at all so I don't even care. My whole experience is based in a couple of hours (about 9 in BETA, two hours starting from level 1 in this chance to play for free).

I can totally see and understand why you enjoy it, but to me it was a disapointing experience then and now. It is not so pleasant for newcomers because the ones that dedicate a lot of hours have a lot of advantages that aren't merely skills. In Crysis 2 and Battlefield give me a brand new profile and I will play evenly against max-ranked players only because of skills -in Crysis 2 you can reboot your online profile and beat the other lvl 50 guys with all the possible advantages of weapons and modules, with you being a lvl 5 with only the most basic classes, modules and weapons available.

Here in Titanfall I get easily squashed by far advanced burn-in cards and weaponry from the opponents, still give a fight but at the end the dividends aren't that exciting to me (having killed 6-8 enemy players); and it may be my lack of mastering the game but I don't feel more powerful when using the titan.

So you played it for a few hours and because you don't get the kills you do in Crysis, that automatically makes it a bad game. You do realize they're two different games. You're not going to get the same kills as you would with BF, CoD or Crysis. They're all different games. So that makes it bad?

And you're pissed because people with burn cards are tougher to handle? After each regen I have to start at level 1 and manage to fight against those guys just fine.

Sounds like to me you just want a shooting gallery of people lined up for you to mow down. Good luck finding that.

So you played it for a few hours and because you don't get the kills you do in Crysis, that automatically makes it a bad game. You do realize they're two different games. You're not going to get the same kills as you would with BF, CoD or Crysis. They're all different games. So that makes it bad?

And you're pissed because people with burn cards are tougher to handle? After each regen I have to start at level 1 and manage to fight against those guys just fine.

Sounds like to me you just want a shooting gallery of people lined up for you to mow down. Good luck finding that.
id rather have a shooting gallery of more challenging players and die more often than a shooting gallery of moronic bots

id rather have a shooting gallery of more challenging players and die more often than a shooting gallery of moronic bots

Shooting the bots generates you xp, speeds up your Titan call time and meets certain challenge criteria for faster leveling. But you don't have to shoot them as many people have already pointed out. Just go for the pilots and Titans.

Look...I get that not everyone is going to like the game, that happens. But the complaints I'm hearing amount to ridiculous whining after playing only a few hours (or less):

"I can't kill everyone instantly."
"The game isn't like BF, CoD or Crysis."
"There are bots here!"
"People have burn cards and I don't!"
"They don't have my favorite gun."

Seriously - enjoy the game for what it offers - a fast paced, unique way to fight over a variety of maps, different battle modes and many, many different configurations for both pilots and Titans. If you're going to criticize the game then fine, come up with something more tangible than what amounts to a "it's not exactly the way I want it and/or it's not like game X" whine.

Last edited:
Shooting the bots generates you xp, speeds up your Titan call time and meets certain challenge criteria for faster leveling. But you don't have to shoot them as many people have already pointed out. Just go for the pilots and Titans.

Look...I get that not everyone is going to like the game, that happens. But the complaints I'm hearing amount to ridiculous whining after playing only a few hours (or less):

"I can't kill everyone instantly."
"The game isn't like BF, CoD or Crysis."
"There are bots here!"
"People have burn cards and I don't!"
"They don't have my favorite gun."

Seriously - enjoy the game for what it offers - a fast paced, unique way to fight over a variety of maps, different battle modes and many, many different configurations for both pilots and Titans. If you're going to criticize the game then fine, come up with something more tangible than what amounts to a "it's not exactly the way I want it and/or it's not like game X" whine.
My biggest complaint is that even if I skipped the bots and went for players, I would still rarely locate them. This is coming from someone who is a huge pre-halo-4- halo fan, so I guess Im just a fan of more precision based, slower gameplay. Not that I dont have fun hopping around on walls and shooting, its just killing anything in titanfall rarely feels satisying to me

Back